black holes and white holes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A theory ? that predicts the photon has a mass of 10^ -54 kg ?
According to E= m c² , how much in Joule ?
Then how much that is in eV ?
The quoted mass is an upper limit. Joules are not commonly used as units of energy in particle physics so I'll leave that to you to work out! However, the upper limit in energy is 10^ –18 eV.

P.S. The term theory which you are questioning is often used to mean a supposition or hypothesis. You are indeed correct that it is the latter meaning we are considering in terms of the information presented above! :)

A photon does NOT have mass, but energy, which is equal to hf (h: Planck's constant, f: frequency). However, a photon can sometimes act as a particle as in collisions with electrons. A colliding photon has a momentum that is equal to (hf/c^2)*c = hf/c. Einstein's theories forbid anything having a rest mass from traveling at the speed of light; the kinetic energy of such an object would be infinite, regardless of how small its mass is, provided the rest mass in non-zero. This is established Physics.

You may be right, but whatever is happening there seems like meeting the boss to clear a level
YouTube
:D

IMO there are no "black holes", that is just a fantasy that by some insane stroke of luck managed to get a toenail hold in science lingo, mostly because they do not have a better more descriptive name for it. And it makes everything easier for the sci-fi crowd.

What you have is heavily compressed orbs of matter that are so dense that gravity around them is "crazy high", bending light and matter is possible even in normal room conditions. For a super compressed sphere in space with ridiculously high gravity, it is trivial.

Lets call it a hypothesis then, are these black holes feeding one white hole or many white holes, are these white holes opening up in alternate dimensions?
Now back on topic:
String Theory is NOT an established theory, like say Quantum Mechanics, but only a sophisticated hypothesis, that can describe certain situations but grossly fails to describe others.

Black Holes emit Hawking Radiation at their event horizon. This leads to an extremely small loss of mass.

In my opinion, so take this as a mere opinion, what is interesting to ask about black holes, is whether there is a mass limit beyond which, a black hole changes state leading to big bang.

Lets call it a hypothesis then, are these black holes feeding one white hole or many white holes, are these white holes opening up in alternate dimensions?
Wormholes are predicted by the theory of general relativity. Their existence has never been proven so they remain hypothetical.

Certain solutions of general relativity allow for the existence of wormholes where the mouth of each is a black hole

However, no one thinks we're going to find a wormhole anytime soon! :Popworm::Popworm::Popworm::Popworm::Popworm:

No, not just for now.
GR will be valid for ever and ever, just like any other scientific discovery.

The laws of Newton are just as valid now as they will ever be, and GR fully encapsulate them. Duh, they are about the same thing: gravity. GR just extends Newton to more places in the universe. And they give the exact same result wherever space is "flat".

These are not just theories, these are the laws of nature and they are verified over and over again to mind-boggling presission.

I do not know what you have in mind, therefore, I suggest you to write what you think so that readers can better understand you.
Both you and Bill are incorrectly interpreting my unsuccessful attempts at humour as a challenge to the scientific method.

I do not actually disagree with either of you!

The theories of Einstein have been repeatedly tested and verified in accordance with scientific method and may be regarded as laws of nature.

As additional scientific evidence is gathered, a scientific theory may be modified and ultimately rejected if it cannot be made to fit the new findings - in such circumstances a more accurate theory is then required.

A less-accurate scientific theory can still be treated as a theory if it is useful as an approximation under specific conditions. For example, Newton's laws of motion can serve as an approximation to Einstein's theory of special relativity at velocities that are small relative to the speed of light.

Speeds close enough to the speed of lights where Newton's gravity law is not accurate enough, that is in the GPS systems.
Satellites are too fast, clocks are not accurate enough.
Satellite clocks need two Einsteinien corrections, one from relative relativity the other from general relativity.
Without these corrections the GPS positioning would be quickly so wrong, to be hardly usable.
The clocks are nevertheless updated regularly and they use the very best atomic clock technology.
In all of this, there is perfect fit with Einstein laws,
verified every day with ultimate accuracy.

GPS is full of extremely interesting physics, maths, electronics.
The SIRF IV chip does it all in a GPS receiver, from antenna to serial port giving the calculated position.
A USB receiver is some $25, ready made to roll your own GPS system on your favorite computer.

Satellite clocks need two Einsteinien corrections, one from (special) relativity the other from general relativity.
Without these corrections the GPS positioning would be quickly so wrong, to be hardly usable.
Yes indeedy, GPS is a perfect example of the practical application of Einstein's theories!

There needs to be at least three GPS satellites above the horizon in order that my GPS receiver can pinpoint my location.

And here's me, sitting at the intersection of the overlapping spheres.

Big Brother is watching me! :eek:

Attachments

• Trilateration.jpg
    Trilateration.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 128
'Black hole' may be a bad name for a gravitational singularity, but they do seem to exist and they do seem to have been observed. Collisions have also been observed.

Agreed on the "exist & observed" part, just calling it a black hole seems so wrong. It seems to imply you can get out of it somehow... I'll be willing to give it a go if I turn 920.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.