bk-16 subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I just finished building the Fostex bk-16 kit from Madisound.

I need a sub!! I've blown most of my budget, so can someone recommend a relatively inexpensive subwoofer?
I'm also wondering if I'll need two of them. I don't have equipment to measure frequency, but as an example, to my ears about 1/3 of the notes played on the bass guitar on a beetles album were far too soft.
I don't need a lot of power, but I want my bass!

The speakers I'm trying to replace, and my only comparison to these are a pair of ~35 year old "ivey studio III" 3 way's. They've got a 12" woofer in each. I guess you could say the sound is more full and even with the old speakers. (but damn ugly in appearance)

Thanks

This is cheaper than building one, and as good or better than most really cheap efforts:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-635

They also have a 10" model for $125 and an 8" for $90. I'd get the 12" if you can. One should work fine, you're not crossing over high enough to need stereo subs. If you want one, you can always add it later. Two subs only produce 3db more than one, so in most cases, your $$ is better spent on one better sub than two cheaper ones (again, provided you are setting the crossover below 80hz or so.)

If spending more, and especially if you are willing to build your own, your options expand dramatically. Check out the Parts Express sub kits. Also, if you've got the space and abilities, a little tapped horn (see thread over in subs forum, where this might get moved anyway) would be the perfect thing for your horns.

pj

Thanks!
Keeping it small is important. That's why my old speakers are getting kicked out (saf). I'd also like to keep it to one, if possible, for the same reason. (One big 12" would probably be acceptable to the spouse, if it's acceptable to my ears)
Building them is definitely an option, but if I did that, I'd like to keep it the same dimensions as the length and width of bk-16 so that I could stack them. Every plan I come up w/ on the subwoofer design program is HUGE! Way larger than any commercial sub. I guess continuing that train of thought is definitely left to the sub forum.
So.. I'll say to continue to keep this thread about what would be a good compliment to the bk-16's.

I'm still concerned that I might need two, but I suppose I'll let the fostex drivers break in a little more and see if some bass develops.

Here is a thought to consider...

Make a base for the two speakers to sit on top of. Make them match the width and depth of the bk16 (9.75 x 14.75 deep) and make it about 10 inches high or more. Put and eight inch sub into one of the cabinets. Maybe one like this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-480

Get a 100 watt sub amp and hook it all up. This should provide stronger bass than the bk16 alone. It would warm up the sound and you can tailor it for more or less bass. If you decide you need additional bass you can convert the other base into another subwoofer. Depending how large your room is will determine if you need another sub.

Godzilla

Bigger will reap dramatic rewards, but if you must have it small, build an EBS alignment with a long rectangular port and this driver:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-854

The enormous excursion capabilities (for an 8") make it much less dynamically restricted than most 8"ers. I have considerable experience with a clone of this driver, the MCM 55-2421. With the Tang Band, you can probably make the enclosure less than half a cubic foot, including the port, and still have solid extension to 30hz and some SPL capabilities.

For an assembled, nice looking capable little sub, this is your boy:

http://av123.com/index.php?page=sho...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

It's tuned low and capable of some decent SPLs. It would be a bit step up from the PE pre built 8", but I doubt it would be better (sounding, it would be better looking) than the PE 12". The X-sub is very similar to what I'd recommend doing with the TB 8" (EBS, slot port). I doubt you can save more than $50 building one for yourself (you should at least use the 150 watt plate amp, as it isn't an efficient little thing). The AV123 stuff look great, too. However, the fun and pride may be worth it for you to DIY.

pj

I made a sort of subwoofer for some testing. I took an old filter from when I was a dj, turned off the resonance, put it on lowpass - took an old solid state amp, and then connected it to an old speaker w/ a 12" driver. Run my audio from my source - split to one amp w/ the fostex, and the other to this Frankenstein sub. It helps a LOT!
Unfortunately, it has also shown me that to balance w/ these bk-16's I need to crossover at about 110 hz. While I don't listen to pounding techno anymore, I still listen to quite a bit of music w/ good old punchy 909ish drums. It's nice mellow music, but still, I need that kick, and these fostex do NOT kick.
I think a xover at even 100hz would require 2 subs, and so I'm sort of back to square one (minus the $700 I wasted). Big *** speakers.

But even besides my jazzy house music, these fostex don't reproduce beetles, jazz w/ any bass in it, or really any music that has a bass guitar.
Quite disappointed.
The mids and highs do sound nice and smooth and all the other sht that people say, but they are far from what I'd call full range.

wicked1 said:
Hello,
I just finished building the Fostex bk-16 kit from Madisound.

I need a sub!! I've blown most of my budget, so can someone recommend a relatively inexpensive subwoofer?
I'm also wondering if I'll need two of them. I don't have equipment to measure frequency, but as an example, to my ears about 1/3 of the notes played on the bass guitar on a beetles album were far too soft.
I don't need a lot of power, but I want my bass!

The speakers I'm trying to replace, and my only comparison to these are a pair of ~35 year old "ivey studio III" 3 way's. They've got a 12" woofer in each. I guess you could say the sound is more full and even with the old speakers. (but damn ugly in appearance)

Thanks

Try these from Parts Express. I`ve installed a few of these for my customers and have had universal praise.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-390

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.