Bipolar miniOnken and source of Canadian supplies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
chrisb said:
but the real secret is the random deposition of feline follicles as damping material in the adhesive matrix of the packing tape - and it sounds like you'd have easy access to that also

As much as Ruth tries, it gets everywhere.

More secrets revealed. Thats why I've been lurking around here for years. I was thinking of weaving an insulating sleeve for the cables out of cat hair.

ooooooowwwwhhheeeee. I have a mess of ribs slow cooking out on the barby and I just got a whiff of them

:drool: :cheers: :lickface: :lickface: :cheers: :drool:

awww man, I am too stuffed to be witty which if nothing else at least gives me an excuse. Slow cooked the ribs for 5 hours with my secret sauce and barbecued up some sweet corn in butter and sea salt with just a hint of maple syrup as well as fresh carrots and greens in a seasoned garlic, butter, beer, mustard and maple syrup sauce.. My lord above ... mmmmmmm mmm m m mm, I am truly a gifted man on the barby.

binarywhisper said:
awww man, I am too stuffed to be witty which if nothing else at least gives me an excuse. Slow cooked the ribs for 5 hours with my secret sauce and barbecued up some sweet corn in butter and sea salt with just a hint of maple syrup as well as fresh carrots and greens in a seasoned garlic, butter, beer, mustard and maple syrup sauce.. My lord above ... mmmmmmm mmm m m mm, I am truly a gifted man on the barby.

dude you're drafted

"Welcome back folks to barby with binary. So tell us mate, now that we've got the meat and veggies covered, what's up with the roasted potatoes and salad?

And I see your lovely wife has the margarita's mixing in the blender. Did you grow those limes yourself?"

ready for some Barry Manilow for mood music?

so I was up late last night and was woken this morning by that kind of banging on the door that one hears right before the cops kick the door in. Muttering to myself I head for the door to find there is no one there. As I turn to close the door I notice a box. I have received the 6 wr125s's I ordered.

So I modded my prototyping boxes converting them into bipolar boxes with a wr on the back and an fr on the front of each with a Linaeum Dipole Tweeter mounted sitting on the top and a modified 12 inch woofer in a sealed inclosure supporting everything..

Initial reaction is that it is an amazing amount of bang for the buck. There is no question that you would have to spend several K in the local audio shop to even get in the ball park. Imaging is not all I'd want but the boxes are crap. The degree of detail is excellent. Eric Claptons Unpluged and Floys Dark side of the moon were l I had time to listen to but wow!

I ordered some Mundorf Supreme's this morning and will replace the rad shak cap's on the tweet's once they come in.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It is obvious that if I'm getting results of this caliber with this hacked together mess it is going to get far batter as it evolves.

so I had the better part of a full day to play with the speakers yesterday.

I have the 125fr's mounted on the front, the 125wr mounted on the back and both running full range, the Linaeum Tweeters sitting on top with vintage 12's holding everything up. There is the factory capacitor on the tweeters and I can't see it so I don't know its value and a simple coil on the woofer at 350hz. The woofer have a very fast natural roll of due to the 13 grams of plumbers putty wrapped around each voice coil. They have also had the cones treated and they are mounted in a large sealed enclosure. They are very very tight sounding. Lots of punch and its an excellent match for the 125's.

The sound stage is quite large now although it traded off some focus and imaging to gain that size. Last night I found the magic position for the speakers and the sound stage suddenly exceeded the size of my 17' x 17' room. I sat listening to Count Basie last night and would guess that my living room had grown to several 1000 sq ft. It was a marvelous thing.

I'd like to say that the Linaeum Tweeter's that I paid way to much for, even for NOS, are still worth every penny I paid.

Rad Shack called them dipoles and I'm not so sure they aren't bipoles but what ever. They are a great tweeter and they work extremely well when matched to a bipole speaker.

If you have the space an a couple of spare 125's laying around and the space to place your speakers 3 ft out into the room then I highly recommend you play with bipolar designs.

Now I will build the miniOnken cabinets.

o my lord.. wow. I have 6 or 7 hours listening time with the new caps on them now and even though I never expected anything less then excellent I am still blown away.

The cap's arrived yesterday and the tweeters are now crossed over at 16khz using Mundorf Supreme's. Sounded a bit harsh for the first hour but now they are pure sweetness. They are not as focused as I like but they have a ton of depth and a huge sound stage. They are extremely listenable hour after hour.

I'm not sure how much of the improvement is due to the new caps vs the higher x-over.

I expect that once I treat the cones on the 125's, build the boxes and solder (rather then the current wire wrap) the wires it can only get better.

I must say I was very surprised to discover that the NEO6 setting on the Panny sounds pretty good as well. I suspect I'll like it less once I improve the focus on the sound stage.

I am going to start modding the Panny soon as well. I already assembled the new power cord so maybe I'll solder it in tonight .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.