Bill Gates - CTRL - ALT - DEL

"Last time I've checked it's called Capitalism. You don't have to like it, but sure as hell you enjoy its benefits."

Yea I'm really enjoying 1% owning half the world, there control of most governments, global warming, surveillance economy, huge monopolies, land fills filling up with shite made to break, shortages, have you seen the price of vegetables lately, etc. Everything's great so I'm sorry I brought it up.

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
For 20 years 95% of PCs ran MS operating systems. Thats a monopoly.

And theres this. "At trial, the district court ruled that Microsoft's actions constituted unlawful monopolization under Section 2 of the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit affirmed most of the district court's judgments."

I didn't realize Bill had so many fanboys.

I don't know Bill Gates and have no opinion of him one way or the other. I just think it is funny that if Apple only has a 10% market share it is irrelevant and MS is a monopoly, but if Bill Gates owns less than 3% of private US farmland its something sinister and has huge repercussions.

the two trends with OS’s that I really don’t like are:

a) ever expanding features and over-complexity,

b) a sense that our computers/pads/phones are no longer ours even though we’re paying for them due to the megalomaniacal monopoly craving OS developers

Microsoft was the Evil Empire, Apple were the underdog. But just like Animal Farm, that’s all changed.

Well, it's as good as the alternatives. And I say that as being involved in running dev and support for linux (all 57 :) varieties) Win and Mac. Oh, and win10 is free, if you don't mind a tiny nag in the corner of the screen. Easy to ignore....

Strongly disagree, and I had to fix people's MS crap boxes for years. And real people don't, and shouldn't, use linux.
Windows is not free, computer mfrs pay MS a fee per unit to preinstall it on PCs for sale in stores. Guess who
ends up paying that fee eventually at the point of sale?

Of course, macOS is free, along with the Apple office software suite, all of which come standard and preinstalled.
MS wastes lots of time for many who are forced to use their junk, and I won't ever touch any of it again.
I suspect IT people who dislike macOS are mostly worried about keeping their jobs. They just aren't needed anymore.

Last edited:
With a joint Income approximately equal to the USA, we watch with interest. But, TBH, I always thought Windows sucks.

Most marriages seem to fail these days for one reason or another.
Personally I dont see the need for marriage any longer.
I am happy doing my own thing without a complicated hormone unstable hanger on wanting a lot of my time and attention.
I now own my own home etc so why risk that for little gain.
If I want to date then I will but I wont marry or move in.
We hear a lot of girl power but my view is man power.

"Last time I've checked it's called Capitalism. You don't have to like it, but sure as hell you enjoy its benefits."

Yea I'm really enjoying 1% owning half the world, there control of most governments, global warming, surveillance economy, huge monopolies, land fills filling up with shite made to break, shortages, have you seen the price of vegetables lately, etc. Everything's great so I'm sorry I brought it up.

You would certainly enjoy a trip to NK, land of the free, where everybody owns everything. Some other destinations are available, Venezuela comes to mind, the trip includes a fresh rat steak (since dogs and cats are long extinct).

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Windows is not free, computer mfrs pay MS a fee per unit to preinstall it on PCs for sale in stores. Guess who ends up paying that fee eventually at the point of sale?

Of course, macOS is free, along with the Apple office software suite, all of which come standard and preinstalled.

Wow, can I get free MacOS and Apple office for my PC? I think I would have to get that on an Apple computer, preinstalled...and guess who ends up paying for that?

Joined 2011
I was calling out the intellectual dishonesty in the post to which I replied, as you well know.
Of course in all companies, the cost of doing business is covered by the product pricing.

And Windows, and MS products in general, are junk. I would not, and do not, use them even for free.
Some people are more interested in quality, than spending the least possible amount of money.

Last edited:
Points of view are fine for esoteric discussions of OS merit but market share and enterprise value are the usual metrics for judging the success of a commercial product. By those metrics whether you love or hate MS and Win, pretending it's an unmitigated disaster seems silly bordering on delusion. I've never banged code since Fortran class in college but have used Windows since PCs entered and transformed the workplace in the 80s and it's sure that the last keyboard I tickle in my approaching dotage will be on a Win machine. Call me a satisfied user!

I have W10 and dislike much of it. Have setup my firewall to stop it calling home or receiving calls from home to keep it stable - means I have to trust my antivirus s/w and my own common sense (if I have any left). Was really surprised at my own surprise when I discovered the vast number of different web sites that it tries to exchange information with.

Johno, go to this website (O&O ShutUp10) and download O&O ShutUp10. Works like a charm. Kevin

Last edited:
My first foray into computers was the Sinclair ZX Spectrum. Then while studying the Apple II and Basic & a Sharp programmable calculator/'puter with built in printer. From there an Olivetti M24SP with MS-DOS, WordStar and Lotus 1-2-3 at work. From there my own custom built 386 with Cyrix CoPro PC and DR-DOS. Lots of Sierra games and similar - though did use SuperCalc and Lotus 1-2-3 and WordPerfect. Then Windows for Workgroups and 3.11 (still on DR-DOS) and also bought myself the full suite of Borland programming software and dBase III. Installed a Stacker Hard Card for space. Worked like charm. Also had OS2 Warp and the complete Lotus Suite. Finally Windows 95, Windows XP and Windows 7. Have not migrated to 10 as yet, but have started looking at various versions of Linux. Really like the hardcore Linux OSs. Also have an iPad for work purposes paid for by work. Apple products are too expensive here down South for the average Joe Soap. Damnably expensive compared to Linux and MS compatible hardware.. My money was spent more on mediaware (LPs, CDs, SACDs) and HiFi equipment. For me a PC (MAC, MS or Linux) is purely a tool to help me with life, my hobbies and to stay in communication with friends and family around the world. Oh! and did I say to access this forum amongst a few others; and to search for news, knowledge and whatever interests me. OS2 was still my favourite OS though.

Kevin
P.S. Still prefer WordPerfect and QuattroPro

I've never banged code since Fortran class in college but have used Windows since PCs entered and transformed the workplace in the 80s and it's sure that the last keyboard I tickle in my approaching dotage will be on a Win machine. Call me a satisfied user!

Yeah, I hated Fortran and writing code in general. It's also doubtful I'll be using anything other than a PC for the rest of my life. There's going to be a nice new Windows CAD box for me in the near future.:)

jeff

Last edited:
Having just recently moved to windows 10 at work, the thing I don't get is the weirdness of the bugs. With certain settings, about once in ten when you click close on the top window, the one underneath will close. Calibri font doesn't display correctly on some monitors - the spacing is all screwed up. Print to XPS gives weird results where not all of the text is selectable. The list goes on and on

Brian