Bigbottle Phonostage Builders thread.

So the leds are a part of the audio chain,no V3 no light,no the leds are lit.
No they are glowing when MM is on.
But now to the next newe problem I have about twice the signal out from one channel,it is in both MM and MC.
Dont know is this is the cause of it but when (the power was of) accidently
shorted one of the biggest caps (2,2uF) to ground the side that is nearest to the input.Could some of the regulator have taaking dammage of this??

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have been asked about where to buy the transformer so thought I'd post here.

I have been using Audiophonics.fr for my transformers for some time but they take forever to arrive.

I have approached a few transformer companies in the UK to try and find an alternative route into buying small quantities of Toroidal transformers.

If I get any joy, I'll share it here.

I use Tiger Torroids in Norfolk. Superbly quiet, all voltages incl HV.

Get your transformers wound on ‘stabilized’ cores with a GOSS band. You must mention it’s for audio so he selects the right core and knows you can tolerate zero mechanical noise. I get mine cloth wound and double varnish impregnated.

The contact is Stephen Foster. A transformer typically takes 2-5 days.

Tiger Toroids is a British company offering a fast and flexible solution for transformers and sinewave inverters.

He does exports as well.

Last edited:
Hey folks. I’m interested in building one of these Bigbottle phono preamps but haven’t yet read much about them and don’t know the cost of PCB and components - or where to start learning more about it. I just got an urge to build a tube phono preamp..

Would anyone like to suggest a good place to start for someone who’d like to build this?

Thanks!

Hey folks. I’m interested in building one of these Bigbottle phono preamps but haven’t yet read much about them and don’t know the cost of PCB and components - or where to start learning more about it. I just got an urge to build a tube phono preamp..

Would anyone like to suggest a good place to start for someone who’d like to build this?

Thanks!
Hi,

Drop me a PM with any questions etc and we'll go from there.

Oliver.

Thanks!

Great idea! My recommendation when ordering transformer is to avoid Audiophonics. I have been waiting for more than two months and they dont respond to questions.

After a few hours of work, here is my progress. Waiting for tube sockets and BF861B. I've decided to go with BF instead of 2SK369, for now.

I'll mount it on test chassis until I decide what kind of chassis I'm going to build.

Transformer is wound with more copper (winding density), B=1.2T, with electrostatic shield between primary and secondary. I've bought multiple transformers from them to date and they are simply excellent. The biggest (for tube amp) was 1000VAC secondary, for my GM-70 tube amps.

Images in full size (right click, copy image address and paste in new window):
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have a strange problem. The tube heaters don't work. Tubes don't get any voltage at pins 4 & 5 (PCC88) and 4 & 9 (ECC83).

If I remove the tubes from sockets, I have 7.87V at those pins. When I insert them, I get 0V between those pins ... I tried inserting the tubes separately, but no luck.

Other than that, I notices the LEDs don't work, tried to flip them, no luck.

Relays are working when I toggle MM/MC switch.

Please, help.

I have a strange problem. The tube heaters don't work. Tubes don't get any voltage at pins 4 & 5 (PCC88) and 4 & 9 (ECC83).

If I remove the tubes from sockets, I have 7.87V at those pins. When I insert them, I get 0V between those pins ... I tried inserting the tubes separately, but no luck.

Other than that, I notices the LEDs don't work, tried to flip them, no luck.

Relays are working when I toggle MM/MC switch.

Please, help.
Well, you should have nearer 7v at those pins so I suggest you need to swap the 2.7v zener to a 2v zener and go from there.