Big Tripath power fun on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just plugged in my new Audiosource 7T and am thrilled! These were never sold due to an emissions problem and have found their way to ebay. All through-hole components so easy modding. These can be had for a $225 offer!! It uses the TA0104A which is still listed on the Tripath website, with data etc.

So far, with less than an hour listening, it seems to have the Tripath sound. Crystaline highs and tight low end.

Just couldnt resist. Not related to the seller of course.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120102996404&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

amt

Attachments

• 7t.jpg
    7t.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 5,622
amt said:
Just plugged in my new Audiosource 7T and am thrilled! These were never sold due to an emissions problem and have found their way to ebay. All through-hole components so easy modding. These can be had for a $225 offer!! It uses the TA0104A which is still listed on the Tripath website, with data etc.

So far, with less than an hour listening, it seems to have the Tripath sound. Crystaline highs and tight low end.

Just couldnt resist. Not related to the seller of course.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120102996404&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

amt

Can you take more photos of the inside? I'm quite interested :)

Robert, I own a Charlize, AMP3, AMP6, several Sonic Impacts, SuperT, and Brian Wests ReferenceT (my favorite). I unfortunately dont have any higher power Tripaths, although Im having an AMP9 and AMP1 assembled currently.

This is just a basic poweramp so a preamp can be used. Im using just the gain controls right now, sans a preamp.

Maniac, that is the entire inside. If you want a higher resolution picture, I can email you one.

amt

amt said:
Robert, I own a Charlize, AMP3, AMP6, several Sonic Impacts, SuperT, and Brian Wests ReferenceT (my favorite). I unfortunately dont have any higher power Tripaths, although Im having an AMP9 and AMP1 assembled currently.

This is just a basic poweramp so a preamp can be used. Im using just the gain controls right now, sans a preamp.

Maniac, that is the entire inside. If you want a higher resolution picture, I can email you one.

amt

I'd love that, please do send me the higher res photo.

Thanks.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I saw these on ebay, but already had two of the 5 channel TA3020 (DCP-501) yet to tear into...I wonder what the sonic difference is between the TA3020 and the TA0104A... isn't the TA3020 newer and just as powerfull?

Just now finishing my UCD400AD, and have way too much money in it - the chassis alone was $300...

john65b said:
I wonder what the sonic difference is between the TA3020 and the TA0104A... isn't the TA3020 newer and just as powerfull?

The 3020 is very good and powerfull, but the 0104 can handle a lot higher dc voltage, so basically has more dynamic power.

If I remembered well they stopped the production because of rohs issues....

But that can't hurt much, I'd say it is the deal of the century....go for it!

By the way AR uses the quite similar 0105 chip in one of the most famous commercial Tripath amps ever built...

Also not related to the seller....

No. There is nothing wrong with the amp but, in the European Union, we have to comply with ROHS (Restriction Of Hazardous Substances) This means that for the EU, amongst other things, all solder processes have to be Lead-free!!. Doesn't affect outside the EU. Just some dumb Brussels directive that manufacturers have to comply with.

Ricky.

So how does it sound ?

amt said:
Robert, I own a Charlize, AMP3, AMP6, several Sonic Impacts, SuperT, and Brian Wests ReferenceT (my favorite).

amt

So how does it sound compared to the Charlize?? Have you had mcuh chance to listen compare?

Also how efficient are the speakers you are driving?

(if it betters the charlize, just want to know if it is only because of the increased power - ie the charlize may not have enough grunt to power your speakers)

I am quite curious about this unit but do not need the extra power to drive my speakers so it would have to better the trends t amp which in my opinion is a bit better than the super t.

thanks

Leonard

Well, I havent had much time to really give it a thorough evaluation, but generally, it seems to sound fairly good. There is a slight hum from the xformer, but thats about the only obvious negative so far.

I bought this to power my Magnepans or my workshop speakers, Bose 901s (no nasty comments please) if I doesnt perform that well. So far, it seems a bit darker than the little Tripaths but the sparkle on top is there.

I can say with assurance though, I doubt that this amp will sound better than any of the smaller Tripaths. Id be thrilled if it can match any of them. One of the things that I feel make the little Tripath based amps so special is their simplicity and small PCB layouts. This is monsterous by comparision. It dims the lights when turned on and is quite heavy. It was also designed 7 years ago and alot has come to light about implementing these chips.

I purchased this as a substitute for my big pro amps and not my under 50 watters. I have 12 pairs of speakers and most are fairly efficient. The Bose and Maggies are power pigs and gobble up anything thrown at them. So a class D is ideal for high power use, since it requires no fans and is more power efficient.

What I do think is that this is about as cheap as quality watts (I hope) get. We are talking 50 cent a watt. This is about the same value as the Sonic Impact. And should be easily tweaked.

I will report back after I give it the once over.

amt

My 7T is a lemon

I'm glad your thrilled because I'm not

I just hooked mine up and I can't get any sound to come out of it. I hooked the speakers up to the B posts, put my source in the input jacks, set it to stereo and nothing. The amp comes on and lights up but the signal meters stay at 0. When I first turn the unit on I hear the transformer rev up but the hum fades away after about five seconds. It looks like it should play when on. All the lights come on and
I hear clicks coming from inside the unit when I turn it on and switch from speaker A to B but that's it, no sound. I hooked up a preamp and still no sound. I hooked up another amp and it work great so it's not the source.

Any idea's before I email them and request a refund.

BTW, I'm using SMGa's just like you are

Pete

Well, actually I say Id be thrilled IF it sounds.....

I guess the basics have been checked right?

ICs hooked to the bottom RCAs and not the pass-though pair on top

Mode switch on stereo

Gain controls set to max (with preamp use)

Input sensing feature disabled

If all this is done and still no sound, you can check the several internal fuses to see if one is blown or faulty. If still no sound, you may just have a bad amp. These have been sitting on a shelf for awhile and who knows. I received great service with my purchase and I see they still have a pile of them so Im guessing that getting an exchange or refund shouldnt be a problem. The only reason I bought mine was because they appear to be a reputable outfit with lots of sales and excellent feedback.

amt

Welp, got mine today and it sounds pretty darn good. Reminds me of my big PPP 6L6 organ amps -- a bit glassy on the top end, but wholly satisfying, with plenty of control. Can't quite compete with my better tube amps. And way too much power for my needs; I haven't been able to get the meters past 0.64W.

I almost feel like it's "too nice" for a sub amp, although that's probably what it'll end up doing. Going to make some minor parts upgrades to see what she can do first -- the output filter seems like a good place to start. :smash: Interior is way better than I expected.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.