Big problem with cancellation between two waveguides

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

tired of chasing a ghost, I ordered an 18sound XT120, which is rediculously cheap here in Germany - 17 €, that would be around $20 - to have a waveguide that is widely used and known to work well. If the problem persists, it will be worth investigating further, if the problem dissappears, well, than it did. I hope so.

Best regards, I will post results, but that will take a while, because the waveguide is square and has to be fitted instead of the flush-mounted round dayton.

Hi,

Welcome to the reality of two speaker stereo. That is how it is. Comb filtering of the two wave fronts from two speakers.

The main problems of this phenomena are
1) too high directivity of the horns
and
2) too few early room reflections above about 1kHz.

When the horns have high directivity there will be very little early room reflections. It gets worse if you have added room absorbtion.

Early room reflections are essentially THE cure to this anomaly. Since they fill the notches so they don't appear as deep and perception of comb filtering is minimised.

As a first aid, try aiming the horns upwards towards the ceiling.

Hi,

I just "finished" building a pair of Speakers using the Dayton 8" waveguide and a BMS 4550 compression driver. One speaker alone sounds good and the directivity might not be perfect above 10 kHz but when I move around my seating position or even the speaker itself a little, playing pink noise, I can hear no dramatic sudden tonal changes. I used pink noise because I experience the same error as I will shortly explain with music and wanted to figure out, what is wrong.

When I play a mono pink noise over both speakers, I experience drastic changes in tone when only moving my head for a few centimeters. Actually it sounds completely out of phase in one position, perfectly in phase a few cms further and keeps alternating between these two.

I also did some rew-measurements in the seating position and with one speaker alone the frequency response stays pretty much the same over my moving range, wich is small, about 60 cms (2 feet). With both speakers and the real time analyzer of rew, i see correct addition and a linear response in one location and heavy dips a few cms further to either side. So basically this matches what I am hearing.

The speakers are playing in Phase, I checked that and using other speakers in my room does not give me that error. Other speakers are Behringer Truth btw. which are known to have a pretty good constant directivity, so the concept is known to work fine here.

I also tried equipping the waveguide with standard dome tweeters and got the same result, so the issue seems to come from the Dayton waveguide. What puzzles me the most is the fact that one speaker alone does not have any strange effects at all.

Does anybody have an idea what might be going on here?

The side walls are treated with absorbing foam on the left and right wall.

That was a very bad idea, absord the side walls, in a home environment. There should be plenty of lateral early reflections in a listening room to make stereo sound good.

Ok, but if that is the case, why is the problem much stronger with the recently built speakers that with the Behringer, when they have pretty much the same radiation pattern? We are not speaking about a subtile difference, we are speaking about: Behringer - totally fine to listen to, even when moving around - and - new built speakers - cannot be used to listen to music without going nuts after 1 minute.

Clearly their directivities are not the same then ? Need to see some data.

Yeah, I didn't want to turn my speakers towards the ceiling, sorry... ;)

What I did is, I found some time to install the new waveguides - 18sound XT120 - and this more or less fixed the issue. The XT120 claim to have constant directivity and are widely used (a clone of them is sold in the US under the brand name denovo and also widely used in the DIY scene), so it seems they do a pretty good job. I didn't find any measurements, though. Anyway, listening to music now is fine again, pink noise of course still shows comb filtering effects, but that I knew before.

The absorbers on the side walls do not cover a very large area and they are not very thick. I will though try removing them and see if that actually sounds better and/or how pink noise reacts to it.

All in all I consider my problem fixed.

There was a question about the Behingers. You can easily find the thread where Dr. Geddes measurements of a pair is discussed. He even wrote an open letter to Behringer with congratulations for their excellent design which results in directivity almost as good as the speakers he builds. So since the Behringers worked very fine in my room as it is even with absorbers, naturally I didn't really believe them or my room to cause what I heard.

What I did is, I found some time to install the new waveguides - 18sound XT120 - and this more or less fixed the issue.

Nice that your problem is fixed and also nice to have another data point.
I was reluctant to merely speculate but this supports a tentative suspicion.
Could this be related to the axisymmetry of the first horns?
Could the new elliptical cross section split up some modes that are very sharp for the circular horn?

Best wishes
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.