Big, Bad Speakers Like Cerwin Vega Dual 15" Units

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone made a set that reflect the spirit of these speakers with dual 15" woofers? (or something similar)

What drivers out of the Parts Express catalog do you think would be a good match? Crossover recommendations?

Thanks,

-- jeep --

Attachments

• cerwin.jpg
    cerwin.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 257
Hi,

Big ? Yes. Bad ? Not really in a domestic environment, where they will
have poor bass for their size, and basically really only suit parties. The
rest of the time your just living with big speakers that can go far too
loud for what you you need, but otherwise sound pretty poor overall.

If you want badass bass take a look at :
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/tarkus

rgds, sreten.

sreten,
I agree that for a 10" speaker the Peerless are good to go. But at the same time I would call them somewhat muddy or slow in that the polypropylene cone is just not a great material for a cone. I have had and I think I still do have some in my collection of speakers. I used them and did appreciate the low fs of these drivers but they just aren't going to give that last bit of detail that other cone materials are going to have. If you just want to move a lot of air you won't be disappointed in the Peerless I have to agree.

ps. The Cerwin Vega speakers are pure pro-audio and not some of the better sounding pro-audio gear out there. Good designer with some questionable implementations.

Hi,

Big ? Yes. Bad ? Not really in a domestic environment, where they will
have poor bass for their size, and basically really only suit parties. The
rest of the time your just living with big speakers that can go far too
loud for what you you need, but otherwise sound pretty poor overall.

If you want badass bass take a look at :
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/tarkus

rgds, sreten.

If you were talking about any of Cerwin Vega's past speakers, or even the some in the current speaker line, I would agree with you. However, the CLS line of Cerwin Vega speakers are unlike any speaker that Cerwin Vega has ever made. Theabsolutesound gave them a pretty darn good rating, and so did soundstage.com.

As an owner of 3 CLS-15's(the smaller single 15" woofer little brother of this speaker) in one of my hometheaters, I can tell that the bass in this speaker goes very deep, very loud, and very clean. No "one note" bass here, you can clearly hear organ pedals drop in frequency note by note. Once you get the height right, the midrange and high frequencies sound pretty darn good. Not perfect, not highly refined, but certainly better than some speakers that cost twice as much. These are not party speakers per se, but they can party with the best of them.

Unfortunately, I do not have current experience with Cerwin-Vega.

But my experiences with them in the past only bring fond memories!

Cerwin-Vega - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GuXUsJy.jpg

I remember experiencing the almost real earthquake in a movie theater equipped with these Sensurround LoudSpeakers! "Loud and Proud" Oh yeah! BTW the structural damage was to the building theater itself, not the Cerwin-Vega speakers.

Now to pump up the volume in a "punchy" way, I'd certainly consider following this trail.

Cerwin-Vega concert speakers
Sl9roVv.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~
I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me.
~ J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Man only likes to count his troubles; he doesn't calculate his happiness.
~ Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Notes from Underground

Kindness is the one commodity of which you should spend more than you earn.
~ T. N. Tiemeyer

sreten,
I agree that for a 10" speaker the Peerless are good to go. But at the same time I would call them somewhat muddy or slow in that the polypropylene cone is just not a great material for a cone. I have had and I think I still do have some in my collection of speakers. I used them and did appreciate the low fs of these drivers but they just aren't going to give that last bit of detail that other cone materials are going to have. If you just want to move a lot of air you won't be disappointed in the Peerless I have to agree.

ps. The Cerwin Vega speakers are pure pro-audio and not some of the better sounding pro-audio gear out there. Good designer with some questionable implementations.

That peerless driver is paper.
Also, I doubt you would here a difference in cone materials of similar stiffness at low frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.