• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bias tap on b+ or separate winding?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have a VTL compact 100 with a shot power transformer. The replacement transformer from Mercury (OEM) is over $800 landed in AU. I can get two Edcore's with correct voltages for well less than 1/2 that. Problem is the Edcore has a separate bias winding whereas the VTL is tapped off the b+. I understand this is done so bias and b+ track closely. Is it a big deal? wouldn't this happen anyhow on a separate winding as well? (just not as closely).
Thanks

Last edited:
I think "done so bias and b+ track closely" is more of a marketing rationalization. But if the transformer has the right B+ voltage anyway, what stops you from ignoring the bias tap, and wiring it up just as it was before? Unless the question was more academic.

Without a schematic I can only guess how it is configured. But with changes in the mains voltage, the secondary voltages will also change in ration. But the B+ voltage itself also varies as the current draw does. Winding resistance acts as a series resistor. The bias tap as separate winding would not see that same resistive voltage drop, while a B+ winding tap would. How large an effect that might be is up for discussion.

In the land of guitar amps, the difference is more one of whether the standby switch also kills the bias.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.