bi amping with X-over after the amp is better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Till now there are no serious arguments against my method.

Has anyone mentioned this article yet?

BiAmp (Bi-Amplification - Not Quite Magic, But Close) - Part 1

During this article, I have given great account of the benefits of bi-amping, but nary a word about any negatives in the equation. There are some, of course, but they have actually been described already ...

Two power amplifiers are required for each channel of a stereo system
An electronic crossover is needed...

...Adding up the Plusses

Effectively (up to) twice the 'real' power of the amplifiers themselves
Reduced intermodulation distortion
Elimination of the low frequency passive crossover, its inherent losses, potentially poor linearity and crossover point inaccuracy
Reduction of the difficulty of the load presented to the power amplifier
No padding is required to align the driver sensitivities, so we are not simply wasting power
The damping factor is greatly improved for both the low and midrange loudspeakers
Complete freedom from any interaction between the loudspeaker driver (and its environment) and the crossover network
Cost savings, since complex passive crossover networks are not needed
Bi-wiring is included free!
The flexibility to choose amplifiers which are at their best within a defined frequency range
Ability to match amplifier power to the exact requirements of the drivers for maximum overall efficiency

I could go on (and on) here, but I shall resist the temptation. There is (IMHO) no reason to not use biamping wherever possible, from small (i.e. computer) speakers through to top of the line hi-fi. The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages in all cases.

The problem of amplifier IMD is not really addressed by the passive power level crossover, because the passive filter still passes everything that is in-band regarding what the load driver can play properly anyway. The active signal level filter, however, does band limit the signal to the amplifier, so that amplfier IMD can be reduced.

The problem of proper damping can't necessarily be guaranteed just because there is a passive power level crossover, unless very high damping voltage source amplifier is guaranteed and the crossover is designed for that. Beyond that, modifications might be necessary "in the field".

Also, I might suggest that tweeter band passive power level crossover can end up superior to active signal level when very good power amps are used, because it requires lower value parts (affordable in very high quality) and doesn't need extra signal amplfiers. But, the differences may never be more than "arguable" now that such good signal amps are available.
Look carefully, with a filter before the amp, the amp only get a part of the spectrum resulting less IMD, thats right.
However this also happens with the filter after the amp. Huh, yes. Take a look. In a poweramp IMD is mainly produce by the emitter follower of the endstage because it has to deliver current making the internal re signal dependent thus IMD. However the passive filter blocks the unwanted frequencies so the amp only delivering power in the intended band, the same band as with active filter thus the IMD is the same despite the amp get the whole spectrum. Plus the IMD products that are out band is also filtered out which is not the case with active filtering

technical argument is what counts not statements as above which is usual in the non profesional world.

Here's a technical arguement. The dipole nature of the ESL panel combined with it's width will cause a low frequency pressure rolloff of 6dB/oct starting around 800-1000Hz. With apassive crossover after the amp, there's only one way to flatten out that natural rolloff and that is to absorb the energy above the rolloff point to flatten out the response. This means your speakers are way less efficient than they could be because a lot of your amplifier power is going to heat the inside of the marginal bass enclosure. Martin Logan also has a nasty habit of crossing over to the woofer way too high, which minimizes this rolloff problem at the expense of weird phasey midbass. With either a passive, or better yet, active crossover before dedicated amplifiers you can easily compensate for the low frequency rolloff of the panel.

My panels are crossed over at 130Hz and you can debone chickens with the dynamics from a pair of 20 watt amps driving the panels.

Also a passive crossover decouples the amplifier from the load, and for something reactive like an ESL, that's not a good thing.

Sheldon

I am using bi amping and use the original x-over of the speaker(martin logan sequel). According to my opinion its the better the a x-over before the amp. Any opinion?

i am comparising mono- and Bi-amping with the same passive filter so the problems you mention is there in both cases isnt it so what is your problem? It doesnt fits your idea?

then read it carefully, I wrote I am Biamping a Martin Logan Sequel with 2 Nakamichi PA7s.

You say it's better to use the passive filter than to use active or line level filters, THEN when the advantages of line-level is pointed out, you say you're only talking about mono vs. biamping.

Fix your attitude first, if your english is the problem, we'll be willing to listen through the broken english if you present things politely.

You say it's better to use the passive filter than to use active or line level filters, THEN when the advantages of line-level is pointed out, you say you're only talking about mono vs. biamping.

Fix your attitude first, if your english is the problem, we'll be willing to listen through the broken english if you present things politely.
And are the others polite?

Look carefully, with a filter before the amp, the amp only get a part of the spectrum resulting less IMD, thats right.
However this also happens with the filter after the amp. Huh, yes. Take a look. In a poweramp IMD is mainly produce by the emitter follower of the endstage because it has to deliver current making the internal re signal dependent thus IMD. However the passive filter blocks the unwanted frequencies so the amp only delivering power in the intended band, the same band as with active filter thus the IMD is the same despite the amp get the whole spectrum. Plus the IMD products that are out band is also filtered out which is not the case with active filtering

Liching

As Andrew pointed out there will be less in band frequencies for IMD to occur within the amp. But in addition, would your dominant distortion mechanism of signal dependent re be reduced due to the decreased variation of the emitter current with the increased load impedance?

Hope this helps
-Antonio

oh yeah my attitude has to be change. The attitude you wants from a newcomer is, oh I am new and desperate who can helps me with...
Baloney. I've never asked for help, and I've been treated with respect.

Of course, I've never bragged about my system, nor have I made claims based solely on subjective evaluations.

Hihi, am was testing your level and have my conclutions..
Sweetie, as a snappy internet comeback, that's a complete fail.

:cop:

OK folks I believe it's time to put away the swords and understand there may be a language barrier here.

Mrs. Liching, we only ask that you understand that some of what you say can be considered insulting to those who have much experience in this. It is good to bring forward ideas, it is bad to dismiss those ideas considering the experience and knowledge being offered. If you think I am wrong, please let us know where your information is coming from and why your convictions are so strong. In English, you are not communicating well with those who's knowledge is considered high.

Thank you for considering this post.

You all are invited to tell me what in my above statement, is not correct.

The question is not whether your statement is correct, but whether or not the assumption you extrapolate from that statement is correct. To convince anyone that your preferred topology is better, you need to provide some IMD measurements of each arrangement.

And, even if, with your speakers and your amps, there is an improvement with the crossover following the amps, it's a bit of a big step to generalise that to all speakers, amps and crossovers.

To be clear, I am not trying any body to convince. You are the ones that are saying that my approach is not correct so its yours to come with arguments. So is it in Scientivic world wheather its polite or not instead of calling that it is unusual in your establish environment with people who thinks to now.

I just claim that every solution is a compromise, and I'm not convinced that IMD matter at all. Of everything I have tried filter before the amp have been the best approach.
Maybe I have more IMD this way, but the other benefits I gain outperform this.

You still come up with a claim that is not backed up by measurements. I haven't saved my measurement with passive filter, so I can't show before and after. But measurements and my ears tell me what is better in my ears.

Nad room accoustics is also some sort of distortion, and measured i dB, the difference will definatly be much more than IMD. I don't consider THD or IMD to be a problem, and I have no idea how to measure it. If I can't measure it, I simply decide not to worry about it.

I just claim that every solution is a compromise, and I'm not convinced that IMD matter at all. Of everything I have tried filter before the amp have been the best approach.
Maybe I have more IMD this way, but the other benefits I gain outperform this.

You still come up with a claim that is not backed up by measurements. I haven't saved my measurement with passive filter, so I can't show before and after. But measurements and my ears tell me what is better in my ears.

Nad room accoustics is also some sort of distortion, and measured i dB, the difference will definatly be much more than IMD. I don't consider THD or IMD to be a problem, and I have no idea how to measure it. If I can't measure it, I simply decide not to worry about it.
Room acoustics is distortion yes but is a linear one. That means that there are no new products in the music.
An Amp however gives non linear distortion. If there are 2 frequencies f1 and f2, the amp produces f1+f2, f1-f2, 2f1-f2, 2f1+f2 etc. This is IMD. Our ears are very sensitive for this. Noise or hiss is much more tolerable then this. Levels of minus 60db are still detected by our ears. The music become harsh and diffuse.
About the question how to measure, with a spectrum analyser you can see the unwanted products. At the output you see f1 and f2 but also the others.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.