BF256B Discontinuance- are there any decent JFETs left?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's fine for now, but I still question if I should be designing equipment around a part that On-Semi wants to obsolete. Most likely it's only still in production because a government client told them to keep it in production... so we'll see how long that lasts.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Is that a checked fact or an assumption?
I rather think it's market and shift from discretes.
Availability here is ok, but not as twenty years ago, admitted.

Purely a guess, but my conclusion was reached based on the fact that On-Semi redacted their decision to cease production of the BF256B a few months after the initial discontinuance notification. I have a hard time believing that there was that much of a market demand to make them do that.

Another approach if you want future-proofed matched JFET pairs is simply to leverage the best JFET input opamps like the ADA4625-1. 3.2nV/√Hz, 4.5fA/√Hz, < 80µV offset.
Yes you've only got single-ended output, but FET input opamps aren't going away anytime soon and the matching is not going to disappoint!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.