Beyond the Ariel

mige0 said:

No Earl, no confusion at my side concerning "plastic deformation".

The pix in the wiki point out what I excluded in my postings explicitly.

In fact, plastic deformation starts right away with almost all sorts of plastic (material wise).

This behaviour is the main reason for the – desired – dampening effect of all sorts of plastic membrane materials. Hence the veeeery "gross defects" seen in CSD's of metal cones.

You apparantly did not read down to the section on plastic deformation where it says

"Plastic deformation -
This type of deformation is not reversible."

And

"Hard thermosetting plastics, ... have minimal plastic deformation ranges. "

No loudspeaker cone is going into irreversible plastic deformation under normal circumstances - it can only do that once. The cone motion is elastic, with a hysteresis effect perhaps, but it is not plastic. The hysteresis is what causes the damping.

mige0 said:

Hi ScottG, don't think brake-up has anything to do with the coupling of the VC.

Greetings
Michael

I deleted it because I just *knew* that I'd be spending more time writing.. Ah well, best plans and all that.

Anyway -

Break-up is essentially a subset of non-pistonic operation in a typical transducer. For instance when such a driver is operating in a pistonic manner it is therefor NOT in break-up. Conversely the portion of a driver's operation that is in "break-up" is not operating pistonically. The reason for the break-up..thats a structural and material issue and the structure has a *relationship* to pistonic operation.

gedlee said:

You apparantly did not read down to the section on plastic deformation where it says

"Plastic deformation -
This type of deformation is not reversible."

And

"Hard thermosetting plastics, ... have minimal plastic deformation ranges. "

No loudspeaker cone is going into irreversible plastic deformation under normal circumstances - it can only do that once. The cone motion is elastic, with a hysteresis effect perhaps, but it is not plastic. The hysteresis is what causes the damping.

Earl, haven't studied underwater sonics but have studied that kind of stuff once...
;)

What else than "plastic deformation" would you say is hysteresis – your "hysteresis" exactly IS "plastic deformation" !

Actually "plastic deformation" of most sorts of plastic (material wise) is always mixed with "elastic deformation" behaviour AND is highly dependant on temperature, moisture and sometimes provides sort of material-memory.

Greetings
Michael

mige0 said:
What else than "plastic deformation" would you say is hysteresis – your "hysteresis" exactly IS "plastic deformation" !

Actually "plastic deformation" of most sorts of plastic (material wise) is always mixed with "elastic deformation" behaviour AND is highly dependant on temperature, moisture and sometimes provides sort of material-memory.

Greetings
Michael

This is semantic and not consistant with the terminology as used in the industry. To be "plastic" it has to always "provides sort of material-memory", not "sometimes" or its not "plastic deformation" its elastic. Read the definition. I have never heard of anyone defining hysteresis loss as being "a plastic deformation that returns to its elastic state on removal of the load" as you seem to be implying.

Charles Hansen said:
OK, let's try and clarify some basic concepts here. I'm surprised that there is so much confusion, as this not rocket science.

Let's start with a table fan. It's a hot day and you want a cool breeze on your face. So you go down to the store and look at different models. They are mostly similar. They will have a motor and a fan blade and a protective grille and a base. Typically the fan blade has 4 blades.

Now some of those different fans may have plastic blades. Some may have metal blades. And of the plastic, some may be polystyrene, some may be polypropylene. And of the metal, some may be steel and some may be aluminum. If you are lucky, you might even find one with wooden blades.

But assuming the same motor and the same fan blade design, do you think that you could tell the difference between a blade made from polystyrene versus one from aluminum? In other words, you close your eyes, turn on the fan, feel the breeze on your face. Wouldn't all the materials produce the same airflow? The answer, or course, is that they will all be the same.

So now we have established the fact that it is possible to move air in such a way that the material used to move the air has no influence on the airflow.

Next we will turn off the motor, remove the guards from the fans, and tap on the blades. Do you think they will create the same noise?

And the answer is equally obvious. No. Each material will sound different because it is resonating and has its own particular sonic signature. And of course this noise is also created by the motion of air.

So now we have established the fact that it is possible to move air is such a way that the material used to move the air has a *large* influence on the air flow. (Yes, I know that "flow" is not the correct word for this particular example, but that is irrelevant to this discussion.)

Yes, that is the definition of pistonic movement.

That's not what I said. I said that there is no 15" speaker in the world that has pistonic motion of the cone all the way up to 1000 Hz.

First of all, I can assure you that the diaphragm of any 15" woofer is *not* pistonic up to 1200 Hz. For a paper cone, a more realistic figure is around 300 Hz.

But let's ignore that for now, because you probably don't believe me. Instead, let's take your assertion at face value.

So if you were using a woofer that had a diaphragm resonance at 1200 Hz and you crossed it over to a tweeter at 800 Hz, and assuming for the sake of argument that you were using an LR4 crossover (about the steepest that is commonly used), then the drive signal to the woofer would be down around 15 dB or so at 1200 Hz.

This means that the signature coloration produced by that 1200 Hz resonance will be reduced about 15 dB below the signal that is produce by the tweeter. If you go back in the literature, I believe it was Barlow of the BBC who studied the audibility of "buried" resonances. And the human ear can quite easily hear the effect of the "buried" resonance in this example.

Of course, the real situation is much worse, as the cone is in break up mode for about the upper 1-1/2 octaves of its operating range.

~~~~~~~~~~

Let's use a different example to make this clearer. Remember the original B&W Nautilus that looked like a giant snail? This was designed by Laurence Dickey. It had a 1" metal dome tweeter and a 2" metal dome upper midrange driver.

Now we are all familiar with the resonant peak created by a 1" metal dome tweeter. For common materials such as aluminum or titanium, the first break up mode will occur at ~25 kHz and create a peak of around 10 dB or so.

Less well known is what happens with a 2" metal dome tweeter. Well, I will tell you. It will have pretty much the exact same behavior, except one octave lower. So there will be a 10 dB peak at around 12 kHz.

Now for the sake of argument, let's say that the B&W Nautilus used LR4 crossovers slopes. Further let's assume that the crossover from the upper midrange to the tweeter was at 3 kHz (a nice convenient number). It is clear to see that the first resonant mode of the 2" upper midrange driver is two octaves above the crossover point. So in this example, the drive level to the 2" dome is reduced -48 dB below the drive level to the tweeter (assuming they are of equal sensitivity).

And now you can see that the signature coloration due to the upper midrange driver is reduced approximately -40 dB below the output of the tweeter. This too, is a "buried" resonance. But in this case the resonance is "buried" much more deeply than in the previous example (that wasn't even a real-world situation). Furthermore, the audibility of a "buried" resonance at 12 kHz, is going to be much less than that of one at 1.2 kHz.

~~~~~~~~~~

The bottom line is that 99.9% of all speakers ever made suffer from diaphragm resonances in their operating range that will grossly color the reproduced sound. These resonances are not even "buried" resonances. They are right out there in the open. Since that is the only type of music reproduction that 99.9% of the people have ever heard, this has become accepted as "normal".

There are a handful of loudspeakers (such as the B&W Nautilus) where the diaphragms operate pistonically throughout their operating range. Of course at some point the diaphragms will break up and create resonant colorations. The degree to which these colorations are suppressed depends on the skill of the designer. In the case of the B&W Nautilus, the "buried" resonances are in the neighborhood of -40 dB below the signal level.

With modern materials (eg, beryllium, diamond, et cetera), it would be possible to build a loudspeaker where the buried resonances are more like -60 dB to -80 dB below the signal level. This would allow for an accuracy of sound reproduction that is literally unprecedented.

~~~~~~~~~~

Of course at that point, there are other sources of resonant colorations. For example, Barlow's original work was looking at the resonances of the cabinet walls. So there is no point to get the diaphragm resonances down to -60 dB if the cabinet walls are resonating at only -20 dB below the signal.

All I am saying is that we are a long way from making an accurate reproducer. But the technology to make a huge improvement in accuracy is within reach.
I think the weak aspects in the Nautilus is not just the cone breakup modes, but the residual energy on the diaphragm in whatever frequency range, and especially in the mid frequencies and higher. I would love to get a pair to measure them, but it seems that the owners love them so much that nobody else can touch them.

If we look at the Jordan metal drivers, the breakup characteristics are generally much better than what we will normally see in drivers of similar sizes, but the longer decays in the CSD still show it's coloration. If the overall decay time were further reduced, we will hear less coloration, but individual requencies with weak resonances that extend a bit longer will become more detectable.

ScottG said:

I deleted it because I just *knew* that I'd be spending more time writing.. Ah well, best plans and all that.

Anyway -

Break-up is essentially a subset of non-pistonic operation in a typical transducer. For instance when such a driver is operating in a pistonic manner it is therefor NOT in break-up. Conversely the portion of a driver's operation that is in "break-up" is not operating pistonically. The reason for the break-up..thats a structural and material issue and the structure has a *relationship* to pistonic operation.

:D The way VCs couple with the cone is really an art in itself.;)

mige0 said:
Charles Hansen wrote:

"All I can tell you is that CSD (waterfall plots) are not a very good way to examine the behavior of the diaphragm. They will show very gross problems, but are completely unable to show more subtle problems."

?) ?) ?)

... not exactly kind of "hard data" - sounds a little bit arrogant to my ears - not exactely the style of that thread until now - don't you agree?

I purchased a Crown TEF analyzer over 20 years ago. It was the first analyzer that could perform the "waterfall" plot. It was invented by and developed with the aid of Richard Heyser, who is one of the all time great audio geniuses. At that time it cost over $12,000, plus you needed a good measurement microphone. I bought a B&K 1/4" that had flat frequency response up to 40 kHz. The mic system (capsule, preamp, power supply was another $4,000 or so).

Even though this was all very expensive gear (especially in 1985 dollars), I thought I was getting off cheap. What I really wanted was a laser interferometer that could make animations of the diaphragm's behavior. (Celestion used them when they developed their copper-dome tweeter for the SL-6.) But a laser interferometer was $50,000 and I couldn't afford one.

I figured with the waterfall plots that I would be able to see the cone resonances that resulted from various break-up modes. But as I posted previously, you can't really. You can see really gross problems. But you could see those kind of problems with a pulse generator or tone-burst generator.

I eventually developed a way to look at diaphragm behavior that didn't require a $50,000 laser interferometer. But I consider that proprietary. Independently, Keith Johnson made a similar invention that was described in Speaker Builder (I believe in 1988), but his method is much more cumbersome to build, use, and interpret.

All I can say is that you can either believe me or not. You can buy a laser interferometer or duplicate Keith's apparatus or not. But whatever I say or whatever you believe, it won't change the behavior of the diaphragm. It will either move pistonically or it will break up.

And there is no paper cone 15" diaphragm that behaves pistonically up to 1000 Hz. As I said, you are lucky to get to 300 Hz pistonically. A few drivers *might* get up to 350 or 400 Hz, but that would be pretty much the limit.

From my point of view I am giving away free knowledge that was earned at great expense. I don't feel that I am under any obligation to give everything away. Sorry if that sound arrogant to you.

gedlee said:
This is semantic and not consistent with the terminology as used in the industry. To be "plastic" it has to always "provides sort of material-memory", not "sometimes" or its not "plastic deformation" its elastic. Read the definition. I have never heard of anyone defining hysteresis loss as being "a plastic deformation that returns to its elastic state on removal of the load" as you seem to be implying.

I'm with Earl on this one. Hysteresis is not normally referred to as some subset of "plastic deformation". There is plastic deformation, elastic deformation, and hysteresis. They are all different phenomena, which is why they have different names.

I can see why Mige0 is getting confused, as many plastics exhibit enough hysteresis that it might become difficult to distinguish plastic deformation from elastic deformation. You would potentially have to include an explicit time scale. But it will be easier to communicate if we use the standard definitions and terminology.

As I rethink the discussion of "plastic deformation", I'd have to say now that this is concept does not apply to dynamic loads and hence it is easy to get things mixed up. It would be best not to try and apply a concept that is intended for static loading conditions to a dynamic situation because it is ill defined in that context.

gedlee said:
I have not found the smaller resonances in drivers and the enclosure to be nearly as important as the control of the room early reflection situation. This later aspects requires a strict control of directivity which piston sources cannot provide.

My old designs were piston sources. While the directivity was not "controlled" per se, it was quite uniform with frequency. This places a bigger burden on the owner to make sure that the listening room's decay time is relatively constant with frequency. Otherwise the power response will diverge from the axial response.

If I were to design a speaker today, I would definitely include techniques to control (ie, narrow) the radiation pattern so as to make the room less of an issue. I think we are on the same page there.

gedlee said:
Our differences all seem to be about degree not about the physics.

Yes. And I think you would be surprised to hear what is possible when the diaphragm resonances are removed from the equation.

Re: Charles....

chrismercurio said:
B&W aren't my favorite loudspeakers....but since you invoked them I wanted to point out the 350hz crossover point used in the current 801D which uses a 15" woofer. I believe it was 400 in the original N801. I'm sure the engineers at B&W know what the breakups are in their woofer, just as I'm sure you knew what the breakups were in the Eton's for your old speakers.....as long as this is the right Charles Hansen. I'm sure if I dig around I can find higher crossover points for similarly sized woofers in well engineered product.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that B&W is a large company with many engineers. And many of them have come and gone over the years.

The only product I was referring to was the original Nautilus that looked like a giant snail. That product was designed by Laurence Dickey. The subsequent "Nautilus 80X" series of speakers are a completely different design that has almost nothing in common with the original Nautilus. Laurence Dickey did not design those products.

And actually, I doubt that the current B&W engineers know what the breakups are in their woofers. If they did, they wouldn't be designing the products they do. On the other hand Laurence Dickey does. Go look at his current work -- Vivid is the brand name. He understands pistonic motion and cone resonances. That is clear from examining his designs.

Charles Hansen said:

With modern materials (eg, beryllium, diamond, et cetera), it would be possible to build a loudspeaker where the buried resonances are more like -60 dB to -80 dB below the signal level. This would allow for an accuracy of sound reproduction that is literally unprecedented.

~~~~~~~~~~

Of course at that point, there are other sources of resonant colorations. For example, Barlow's original work was looking at the resonances of the cabinet walls. So there is no point to get the diaphragm resonances down to -60 dB if the cabinet walls are resonating at only -20 dB below the signal.

All I am saying is that we are a long way from making an accurate reproducer. But the technology to make a huge improvement in accuracy is within reach.

We're down to about -50 to -60 db being easily heard in tweeter crossover impedance compensation networks, or in the network for the top of the woofer's response. Of course, this can be related to many complex issues, so it's not a blanket statement. Just a seeming observation that needs be addressed, in our particular case. It's damn annoying, quality capacitors for compensation networks gets expensive, and fast.

As for woofers with severe peaks in their upper ranges: bad news. Like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Find a better driver. Ignore that one, and they'll finally stop making them.

Charles Hansen said:

I think you would be surprised to hear what is possible when the diaphragm resonances are removed from the equation.

That hasn't been my experience. I've found that directivity and early reflection control, along with lowering the system and room diffractions (a form of very early reflections) are the key to low coloration and good imaging. The system resonances come in pretty far down the list although I don't ignore them. People who have heard this are in general agreement here. There is a post at
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1507485#post1507485
which describes it.

Charles Hansen said:
The bottom line is that 99.9% of all speakers ever made suffer from diaphragm resonances in their operating range that will grossly color the reproduced sound. These resonances are not even "buried" resonances. They are right out there in the open.
~~~~~~~~~~

Charles,

What is your opinion on using steeper slopes like analog LR4 mid-tweet and LR8 bass-mid, or like 96db steep digital slopes to put speaker buried resonances -60 db to -80 db below signal level? Are steep analog or digital crossover slopes worst than cone break-up?

Charles Hansen said:

What are you talking about? What do you mean by "residual energy"?
Residual energy is energy that remains in the driver and is dissipated with time, normally viewed in the form of CSD. When the VC drives the diaphragm, part of energy is transferred into acoustic energy, part is heat, part remains electic, part is mechanical. We hope that energy turns to acoustic as much as possible, or dissipated as heat, this way residual mechanical energy and electric energy does not reflect in a way that it continuously transfers into acoustic energy when we really don't want it to do so. If you look at the CSD, it is most desireable to see the whole spectrum decay as fast as possible. Unfortunately there is a limit. To make things worse, the cone breakup mode stores energy and releases it much slower.

soongsc said:
Residual energy is energy that remains in the driver and is dissipated with time, normally viewed in the form of CSD.

In your previous post you wrote:

soongsc said:
I think the weak aspects in the Nautilus is not just the cone breakup modes, but the residual energy on the diaphragm in whatever frequency range, and especially in the mid frequencies and higher.

So I am still unclear what you meant in your previous post. It would seem that you are claiming that there is "residual energy" in the "mid frequencies and higher", but that this "residual energy" is not from break up modes.

1) What leads you to make the claim that there is "residual energy" in the "mid frequencies and higher"?

2) If the "residual energy" is not from the break up modes, what is it from?

LineSource said:
What is your opinion on using steeper slopes like analog LR4 mid-tweet and LR8 bass-mid, or like 96db steep digital slopes to put speaker buried resonances -60 db to -80 db below signal level? Are steep analog or digital crossover slopes worst than cone break-up?

It's a good question, but I don't have a good answer. I haven't designed any speakers for nearly 20 years. Here are a few general comments:

a) The steeper the slope, the worse the transient response. (Actually, the sharper the corner, but these two generally go hand-in-hand.) There are some who claim that anything steeper than first-order creates audible ringing. I have never tried anything beyond LR4. Obviously the cost and complexity increases radically.

b) Digital approaches impose their own set of limitations. If a person *only* uses digital sources, then it becomes less objectionable. But there is no real advantage to digital over analog except lower cost.

c) Joseph Audio used to use Richard Modaferri's "Infinite Slope" crossovers as a way to keep the high-frequency energy out of the metal-coned woofers. I know that they dropped this for at least part of their crossovers, but I don't know if it was for the high pass, the low pass, or both. I know that the change was made because the more traditional approach produced a better overall sound quality than the "Infinite Slope" approach.

Charles Hansen said:

In your previous post you wrote:

So I am still unclear what you meant in your previous post. It would seem that you are claiming that there is "residual energy" in the "mid frequencies and higher", but that this "residual energy" is not from break up modes.

1) What leads you to make the claim that there is "residual energy" in the "mid frequencies and higher"?

2) If the "residual energy" is not from the break up modes, what is it from?
I think it would be easier to just compare the CSD of an amplifier with resistive load CSD of a driver and you will understand what I am talking about. I would try to get the CSD of a driver as good as an amplifier as possible.

If you use good drivers (well better than good) that behave well - as in no nasty peaks or valleys and cross them over well within their optimum range (one to two octaves away from the little nasties) with a good quality 4th order electronic crossover (with variable damping) these out of band nasties become pretty much trivial.

8th order does seem to have a bit of a 'ring' to it though. After a while the tend to become un listenable.