Beyma 12XA30Nd: Help wanted with sealed box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I came a cross a pair of these and would like to put them in a sealed box but I'm useless with modelling software so if someone would like to recommend one for me I'd appreciate it.

These will be used with a subwoofer so I'd like an F3 of about 60 Hz.

Also, I would like the enclosure to be as shallow as possible so is it OK to build it so that the back of the driver is just short of touching the back wall?

Also, I would like the enclosure to be as shallow as possible so is it OK to build it so that the back of the driver is just short of touching the back wall?

You'll likely get a reflection from the back wall out through the cone if you don't get some absorbent material in the path. Not sure how picky you are about the sound, but you'll get a little "boxiness" from that.

You'll likely get a reflection from the back wall out through the cone if you don't get some absorbent material in the path. Not sure how picky you are about the sound, but you'll get a little "boxiness" from that.

I'm rather picky so no boxiness accepted. Would bonded logic on the back wall do the trick? Overall I don't want to overdo the stuffing though since I think it can make the sound too dull.

Beyma 12xa30nd is a mid/bass coaxial driver, not suited for sub use in sealed box, sorry...

Like I said I have a separate subwoofer for bass below 60 Hz so I don't need the driver to play lower than that. If you mean 12XA30Nd can't even do that in a sealed box, that's a different story. But with such a strong magnet and a bit of EQ, even a sealed box should be able to tame it, no?

I want to keep it simple though and ensure optimal transient response, that's why I'd prefer sealed. But what about MLTL then?

Sorry again I made mistake reading 1# post.....
Large flat sealed box can sounds OK if are quite lossy, I mean with thin lateral panels well damped with fiber.

which subwoofer are You going to use?
Xover frequency?
home or PA usage?

No worries. Why does the box have to be lossy and you give an example of what you mean by 'lateral panels'?

Not sure yet, but DIY, perhaps TC Sounds or Rythmik, at ~60Hz. This will be for (demanding) home use.

I'm rather picky so no boxiness accepted. Would bonded logic on the back wall do the trick? Overall I don't want to overdo the stuffing though since I think it can make the sound too dull.

Some of the most lively and open speakers I ever heard were fully stuffed. I'd personally rather hear the driver, than reflections of the back-wave coming through it.

I think the "over stuffing" old-wives-tale comes from diyers who blame a bad crossover design on the stuffing - Or you could be confusing sealed and ported boxes (ported boxes can be over stuffed).

Some of the most lively and open speakers I ever heard were fully stuffed. I'd personally rather hear the driver, than reflections of the back-wave coming through it.

I think the "over stuffing" old-wives-tale comes from diyers who blame a bad crossover design on the stuffing - Or you could be confusing sealed and ported boxes (ported boxes can be over stuffed).

fatmarley is quite right, fully stuffing a sealed box is the way to go.

You could make the box a touch smaller than this because of the stuffing, but you're not going to get an f3 of 60Hz.

Beyma12xa30nd_zpsf4a1d52b.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.