Betsy's are on their way...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is what I thought the inside could look like, equivalent in size to the other wild burro hinged baffles. I envisage this having plants and pictures on top, but maybe it could have a grill. Can you get pretty patterned acoustic neutral fabric?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

How would I make it a labyrinth, is the betsy suitable for TL?

Well, countless console stereos were built with pretty much that same layout. No reason it wouldn't work as sketched. I would suggest lining the inside with some carpet felt if it's going to be near a wall.

If you wanted it to be a labyrinth - first guess would be to close the back, add a center divider to make a simple pair of one fold TL pipes. Add an exit to the bottom. Oh, and replace that triangular center reflector thing with a simple board. I don't see any reason the Betsy wouldn't work in a TL.

Just guestimating from your sketch, I'd say you'd end up with about 3 cubic feet per side, and maybe 48" long lines. Perhaps you can talk someone into running a sim. I'm not set up for it at the moment.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Quicky, why have i never seen people using the wall as a baffle;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Suspended from a picture rail, with the wall becoming an infinite baffle...

I do this all the time with my wall mount speakers: Cornu, flat BIB or FIB, flat stereo MLTL, and folded MLTL. No baffle step loss and no floor space needed. Lots of advantages.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Suspended from a picture rail, with the wall becoming an infinite baffle...
...not quite right...it would only be an infinite baffle if you incorporated it in the wall, as one part of the wall would be facing forward, one back

the way you showed it... is like small leaky box with back wall close to the driver...you may not like the sound of it, as it will likely have poor low fr response and ton of back reflections re-radiating through the speaker...
just my opinion

Still looking for a good use of the regular Betsy (not the K) for some form of Open Baffle, that isn't as large as my lounge!

Any helpers?

I have tried a MJK style OB with an Eminence 15A as helper woofer. Without a helper woofer the bass is just too weak for my taste. I used some surplus MDF, a miniDSP and bi-amped using 2 Gainclones. Betsy required quite a bit of equalization to be somewhat flat.

Michael

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    815.6 KB · Views: 137
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
IB is basicly like a very large closed box
infinite means that front and back cannot couple acousticly

wall mounted is very far from being infinite baffle(IB)
small closed box would be closer
but the trick of IB is very low bass, so ...

but if you call it a small box with very big baffle, no objections
that at least is explainable by giving the needed acoustic BSC support ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.