Best way to repair damaged gloss veneer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi...

I have a Sunfire HRS-10 just bought on ebay, works great but chipped corners with bits missing. Seeing as this sub has the glossy veneer finish, what would be the best way to repair it?

I was thinking of wood filler, leaving it to set, sanding it down and then buying some more veneer in the same finish and putting that over the wood filler and thus held in place with some glue?

Or, bad way of doing this?

Hi,

AFAIK there is no such thing as glossy black veneer.

Even if there was, it would be impossible to hide joints.

I'm no expert on refinishing, but know a bit about car paint.

High gloss finishes are generally a colour + layers of clearcoat.

Sounds a very tricky job to do right in the simplest way.

rgds, sreten.

sreten is correct again - judging from Sunfire's website photos, they are either a grain-less gloss plastic laminate ( e.g. Formica, Wilsonart, Arborite, etc), or paint.

Whichever it is, if you want to make it look good as new, it'll be a bit of work.

If laminate, the best method would probably be to carefully mask off all non-damaged faces, strip damaged laminate with laquer thinners in squeeze bottle, repair chips / broken corners with "Bondo" catalyzed resin type filler, sand smooth, apply matching laminate* with contact cement.

* a lot easier than it sounds - do you know how many shades / degrees of gloss of black there are? - hint - maybe more than 50

Or if paint, you'll still need to repair the damage with bondo, scuff sand the entire surface with fine grit (220 or so) , and probably spend more than you paid for them used to get a perfect repainted finish.

But judging from your other post, there may be more serious issues with the unit than the cabinet damage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.