Best Tweeter to Fix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

So a friend lent me his Opheus speakers (boutique Australian brand) for a party and needless to say, bad things happened. I have taken them apart and believe the tweeters have blown on both of them. To get them repaired will cost a motza, so i wondered if anyone had any tips on some good replacement tweeters (keeping budget in mind).

These are the ones that are currently dead. And visually they look like this.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob so i don't know what is important to tell you re crossover and stuff like that. But any experiences/thoughts would be great!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Assuming you have the parts right, it's not bad, about $30 each.

But before you go down that route, how do you know that it's the tweeters? Also, look at the caps in series with the tweeter. Make sure they block DC still. Otherwise you may have blown them too and putting in new tweets will last a few minutes before you blow the replacements.

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
Hi Michael,
The tweeters are an important part of the design - change the tweeters and they are no longer what your friend lent you.

Re-engineering speakers for different tweeters is not to be taken lightly. It requires the same test equipment as designing the speakers in the first place, as well as modifications to crossover components etc etc.

The only safe option is to replace the tweeters with identical units. Orpheus should be able to supply, or follow the suggestions above, but PLEASE do right by your friend and find like-for-like replacements.

Cheers,
Mike

Amazing, thanks for all your help.

I think i will either buy the ones found by eriksquiers, or potentially get a replacement coil as suggested by woody. Are the coils easy to change?

I assume that replacing with the same model will give the same sound back to the speakers? It is unlikely that anything else is blown? (in the crossover for instance?) I just am wary about investing too much in a lost cause.

Also, After taking the cover off the tweeters, i can see that the tiny copper cord is broken in one spot. Is it worth trying a repair? I imagine i would just burn through it if i tried to solder it... Or is there a better way?

Sorry about all the new questions, and thanks so much for all of your help.

Michael

Amazing, thanks for all your help.

I think i will either buy the ones found by eriksquiers, or potentially get a replacement coil as suggested by woody. Are the coils easy to change?

I assume that replacing with the same model will give the same sound back to the speakers? It is unlikely that anything else is blown? (in the crossover for instance?) I just am wary about investing too much in a lost cause.

Also, After taking the cover off the tweeters, i can see that the tiny copper cord is broken in one spot. Is it worth trying a repair? I imagine i would just burn through it if i tried to solder it... Or is there a better way?

Sorry about all the new questions, and thanks so much for all of your help.

Michael

Chances are they used decent enough caps that they aren't blown, you should test them but if you don't already have a meter and know how, just leave it alone. :)

If you can get replacement coils, that's cheapest, of course. Otherwise the tweeters. Yes, you just need to make sure the parts are the same. I'm glad I could find you a match. It's not that easy, especially with obscure manufacturers coming and going, or owners trying to fix speakers whose parts belonged to a company that got bought and parts changed... I'm afraid I'm not very good at that type of history. You just lucked out that the speakers used a still available and relatively common part.

If you don't know what you are doing, I wouldn't attempt any repair. If it's part of the moving assembly it's practically impossible to repair correctly by most.

Best,

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.