Best Soundtracks Ever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
federico moreno said:

¨The Pianist¨ soundtrack makes a good, soft and not difficult classical entry.

That one is interesting. You probably already know it, but Nyman wrote that music so it would sound very much like 1900-century music, but still with a touch of his own modern minimialistic style. He also toook care to make it sound like music that was not more difficult to play than what an advanced amateur like the main character in the film could have managed to play.

I recommend the piano concerto that Nyman wrote later, based on the film music, but without those limitations and requirements he had for writing the music for the film.

Christer said:

That one is interesting. You probably already know it, but Nyman wrote that music so it would sound very much like 1900-century music, but still with a touch of his own modern minimialistic style. He also toook care to make it sound like music that was not more difficult to play than what an advanced amateur like the main character in the film could have managed to play.

I recommend the piano concerto that Nyman wrote later, based on the film music, but without those limitations and requirements he had for writing the music for the film.

there is a whole sub-topic on the cross fertilisation of classical and movie music. For example Vaughan Williams wrote a Symphony (No 7) based on music he wrote for the movie "Scott of the Antarctic".

Similarly Korngold reworked some of his 'Sursum Corda' as the main themes for Robin Hood .

A much underated piece is the Violin Concerto of Miklós Rózsa which was reused in the Billy Wilder movie " The private life of Sherlock Holmes" both the piece and the movie are well worth seeking out.

That one is interesting. You probably already know it, but Nyman wrote that music so it would sound very much like 1900-century music

Hi, Christer. I was referring to the Polanki movie The Pianist, not to ¨The Piano¨ movie by Jane Campion.
¨The Pianist¨ soundtrack is mostly Chopin; accesible, dulcet and autumnal. A good starter.
About ¨The Piano¨, if I remember well, it was a soundtrack with some debussyan touches? If it is so, me and my wife always remember that music with great affection -we saw the movie maybe six years ago-... I will dig that cd.

I like Nyman`s music very much, though I haven`t any record of his music. His elegant minimalism makes great film music -I remember some eighties Greenaway`s movies beautifully adorned by his touch-, and I owe myself some insight in his ouvre.

Cheers

Sorry Federico,

My mistake. There are so many films with similar title, that I mixed them up. There is also "The piano teacher", or whatever it is called, by Hanecke. To confuse things even more these films often change titles to similar ones depending on country, and differ from a similar book title when based on a book etc. However, in this case it was just me thinking of the wrong film. Oh well, the soundtrack to "The piano", which I referred to, is also good, although I recommend the piano concerto instead.

I also agree Nymans music played a very important part of Greenaways movies, and I have one or two of the soundtracks on CD.

Re: The Piano

federico moreno said:
I will check both , then!
Thanks

Just so you don't get me wrong. I did not recommend the soundtrack to "The piano teacher". It is a very good film, better than Jelinecks book if you ask me, but I honstly can't remember what the music in the film was like, except for a lot of various classical pieces that her students played.

some greenaway

Oh, I remember well that movie...
The issues about sex, food, death and literature, intertwined in some neoclassical landscape...
Some sort of a shock culture those days of reaganomics and ¨fatal attractions¨ and so on...
You know, Buenos Aires is a very ¨cinephile¨ city. Those Greenaway movies -and the esthetics involved- garnered a lot of following here, influencing architectonics, restaurants, even discos...
That was a nice part of that decade; if I remember well, late eighties.
A detour -through excess- away from that ¨miami vice¨ pastel malgusto and sex-correctness that permeates so much of the pop culture of the times -you know, nipples rubbing against frame curtains, the de-rigueur loft with gym, motorcycle and industrial lift, etc: yuppie stuff-
And the music was great: imperial, processional

Well, thanks for the suggestion!
There is some blog or page out in the net with a section called ¨eighties things that don´t suck¨, hehehe; if I remember well, Greenaway movies were listed there... I don´t remember exactly the URL; if I find it again I`ll post it .

Glory-James Horner, one of my first cd purchases, I still like it

No one mentioned the Godfather so I will now, II was probably my favorite, music and movie

Gosford Park--I love the vocal/piano performances, what you hear in the movie is what is on the disc (not always the case), and the score is very listenable, though more background music

Evita----yes, the Madonna version, I have a promo cd, is that what they give to dj's?, picked it up in a used cd store, for some reason its probably the best sounding disc I have, though the wall is pretty close despite being 20years older. Wonder if the "consumer" version sounds as good???

Ray--Movie was good but not great I thought but soundtrack is aok 2me

Sweet Dreams---A nice Patsy Cline compilation disc
Amadeus---Self Explanatory
Gross Pointe Blank, The Big Chill, The Pink Panther, Platoon, The Sting

- Peter Gabriel - Another nod for Passion. Glad to see I'm not the only who digs this. IMO this is Peter's masterpiece and one of my favorites. I listen to it quite often - in fact it's playing right now. As others have said , it's a very moving score. The percussions and the overall theme are excellent. I highly recommend this to everyone.

- Gabriel Yared - The Talented Mr. Ripley (7 track Academy film score CD) Excellent compositions and sound quality is top notch.

- Thomas Newman - The Green Mile Very moody and somewhat dark score. A mix of traditional score and modern folk type arrangements.

- John Barry - Cry, The Beloved Country IMO, one Mr. Barry's best.

And for something fun....

- The Red Elvises & Brian Tyler - Six-String Samurai A mix of film score and rockabilly/surfer songs performed by Russian band The Red Elvises. This is a fun and addicting soundtrack.

-Ken

Some great ones mentiones already. I loved the Greek music in "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels". I liked the soundtrack from "Somewhere In Time" with John Barry, however, I thought the recording left a lot to be desired.

I particularly liked the mix of music of "Philidelphia" from the durge-like title track to the Neil Young offering and the opera.

The soundtracks from "the Big Chill" and "Forrest Gump" had a lot of feel good music from the era.

Also fond of the music from "Smokey Joes Cafe," although not sure that was a movie...just a stage production, I think.

There was some music in "Friday Night Lights" that I really likes, not sure who it was. New age musical track that kept running throughout the entire movie.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.