Best sounding SS rectifiers?

Account Closed
Joined 2018
A large ceramic disc hanging across the input to that rectumfryer? A *snubber* perhaps?

Let’s see you try to push that much current thru a tube rectifier - without wearing 2 million sunblock for all the UV it will produce. SS makes sense here….

Some people like "overkill" for whatever reasons.
I tend to stay inside the "being reasonable" area and really don't have much interest in the way of glamour.
Though "basic" and "humble" have their own way of impressing the eyes and ears.

A large ceramic disc hanging across the input to that rectumfryer? A *snubber* perhaps?

Let’s see you try to push that much current thru a tube rectifier - without wearing 2 million sunblock for all the UV it will produce. SS makes sense here….

just a small value 0.001ufd 2kv disk ceramic....

yes, ss rectifier used here is 1/200 the price of any tube, since you will need several tube rects...

i tend to overbuild, i design and build my own power traffos and output traffos used in my amps..... and no i am not a commercial winder...just still a hobby...

Last edited:
One of those .00x uF 2 to 6 kV ceramic discs with ten or 20 ohms in series with it will usually quiet 1N5408’s used on Antek toroids or anything custom I might whip up on an EI core. Sometimes I try to get by without it, not always successful. But cheap and easy enough to do if you get a buzzing supply.

The tube rects you would need in that app would be Mercury vapor filled. I wouldn’t want to mess with those either. Or pay for them, of course.