• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best SET design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HAHAHA. NICE!
I have to buy sockets sometime in the near future.
How much to these ones cost? I think that the ones around here are chinese/ russians(brown with silver wires attached to them).

Like I recommended to you in my previous post - simple this Russian PLK7 type of socket is the Best one for this extra hot running 6c33c power valve ,it is about 11,20$ per piece at GStube.com .
Avoid similar teflon and/or ceramic Chinese 6c33c sockets - quality it is crap !

Salut

"Transparent" and "SET" don't belong in the same sentence. That isn't why people build them. Of course, you can always add gNFB to linearize any design, but then you lose the very reason why people want SETs in the first place.

Wrong.

People build SET because of zero distortions on zero watt. Drawback is higher power dissipation at idle than in case of PP amps of the same output power.

My last experiment with 4P1L shows that SE amp can be very transparent, with zero negative feedback. The amp in attachment delivers up to 5W of pristine clean power, per 20W of anode dissipation.

Attachments

• gubernator-7-1-sch.jpg
    gubernator-7-1-sch.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
hi this is my first post im from northern ireland.it is such a hot debate ,and opinions are so varied.
i have had paralell 300b, single output 300b, 2a3 ,6a3, type45 amps my 6a3 amp that i have now has also got 7.5 volt tap so i can use vt52 i have some western electrics which i have tryed ,my amp also has a 4 volt tap which means if i change the output base i can use osram-marconi px4 or telefunkten re604 which i have but i have not tryed yet
so that is a little of my history
look into a little valve called el95 which there is lots of new old stock
i think there is a russian valve called 6c35p which may have potential
i heard el95 amp about 10 years ago and it was very good and the same amp could have a battery power supply .

Wrong.

People build SET because of zero distortions on zero watt. Drawback is higher power dissipation at idle than in case of PP amps of the same output power.

My last experiment with 4P1L shows that SE amp can be very transparent, with zero negative feedback. The amp in attachment delivers up to 5W of pristine clean power, per 20W of anode dissipation.

I think that the problem is that many people don't realize that the triode is perhaps the most linear amplifying device (doesn't need feedback) in use today. The fact that it was invented in the early days of audio electronics, has led many to believe that it's just not as good as the modern transistors.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Good point there Terry. I don't fell ready to take the challange of designing an amplifier yet. I'm gonna stick to Borbely's schematic for now(all triodes).

That's what I'd do. When you're done you'll probably wonder how it could possibly ever get any better than what you've just built.
I'm sure that you'll be very happy with it.
;)

Good luck and Best Regards!
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.