Best recorded CDs - Best sounding

TerryO said:
Scott,

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but I take it as an indication of the quality and care that has gone into creating a disc.

Here's some info (from discdupe.org) that correlates with what my general understanding is:

Best Regards,
TerryO

[OT]
The errors all seem to occur when using a standard CD (or SACD/DVD/etc) player. This is because (as far as I am aware) that the players are not allowed to copy even a small portion of the content of the disk down to any sort of memory in order to play it. This is due to some peoples' (ie. the recording industry) weird ideas on copyright and the electronics industry being unwilling to take them on. Copying a CD down to a hard-drive can be bit-perfect, and the resulting playback should have none of the errors that traditionally occur as a result of imperfect reads (shouldn't be any jitter there either).

With flash memory being so cheap nowadays, it shouldn't be too long before a kit is available so that you can do this DIY mod to your own player. At least, that's what I'm hoping.
[/OT]

Sorry about the OT post...

Pat Coil - Just Ahead (Sheffield Lab recording) is also a brilliant CD. Especially track 4 Lady J where the tune is carried on the symbols. Not something I have heard done before. This is also a good system test, see if you can hear the colour of the metal used to make the symbol. It ssssshould not sssssound like a sssnake in the grasssss ;-)

Last edited:
[OT]
The errors all seem to occur when using a standard CD (or SACD/DVD/etc) player. This is because (as far as I am aware) that the players are not allowed to copy even a small portion of the content of the disk down to any sort of memory in order to play it. This is due to some peoples' (ie. the recording industry) weird ideas on copyright and the electronics industry being unwilling to take them on. Copying a CD down to a hard-drive can be bit-perfect, and the resulting playback should have none of the errors that traditionally occur as a result of imperfect reads (shouldn't be any jitter there either).

With flash memory being so cheap nowadays, it shouldn't be too long before a kit is available so that you can do this DIY mod to your own player. At least, that's what I'm hoping.
[/OT]

Sorry about the OT post...

Well you can have your cake and eat it too- says an old saying. If you DBX Type 1 compress record your CD to a Yamaha CDR HD1500 hard disk recorder and then play that back through the DBX Type 1 expander like a DBX 150x or DBX 155 the DBX will do its purpose as a compander, dramatically improving your original CD. I agree with cloth ears that current CD playback is very poor, however the actual CD disc is terrific, there is far more on the CD than conventional players can play. Companding with DBX proves that. I have recorded all my CD's this way, and enjoy playback approaching theoretical perfect. Cheers / Chris

Here's ten well recorded high quality sounding discs

Tchaikovsky 1812 - Dallas SO (Delos 20 bit)
Chasing the Dragon - Audiophile Recordings (mixed)
Pure Heart - Hiroko Kokubu - smooth jazz piano (JVC 20 bit)
A Girl Meets Bossa Nova - Olivia Ong (HDCD 24 bit)
Rachmaninoff Piano concerto 2 - Earl Wild - Chesky Records
The Lady in Red - Hot Club of San Francisco - Clarity Recordings (HDCD 24 bit)
Amanda McBroom - Dreaming - Gecko
Terba Buena Bounce - Hot Club of San Francisco - Reference Recordings (HDCD 24 bit) (or any Reference Recording)
Happy Coat - Shota Osabe Piano Trio - LIM K2 HDCD
Fairytales -Radka Toneff/Steve Dobrogosz - Odin (Norway)

Attachments

• TCHAIKOVSKY-1812-Overture.jpg
    TCHAIKOVSKY-1812-Overture.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 60
  • CTD.jpg
    CTD.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 59
  • hiroko.jpg
    hiroko.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 62
  • bossa nova2.jpg
    bossa nova2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 62
  • chesky.jpg
    chesky.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 63
  • lady red.jpg
    lady red.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 54
  • dreaming.jpg
    dreaming.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 66
  • yerba-buena-bounce-hrx.jpg
    yerba-buena-bounce-hrx.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 56
  • happy coat.jpeg
    happy coat.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 59
  • fairytales.jpg
    fairytales.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 60
Well, here's five more.

Basie Jam - w/7 other big name players - Pablo
Folk Singer - Muddy Waters - Mobile Fidelity Gold Disc
Iannis Xenakis - Kuniko Kato - Linn hybrid compatable SACD (excellent percussion)
Rachmaninoff - Dallas SO - Analogue Productions
Red Rodney 1957 - Prevue - (Rudy Van Gelder & Bernie Grundman)

Attachments

• Basie Jam.jpg
    Basie Jam.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Folk Singer.jpg
    Folk Singer.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Kuniko.jpg
    Kuniko.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 67
  • Rachmaninoff.jpg
    Rachmaninoff.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Red Rodney.jpg
    Red Rodney.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: 1 user
I've got way too many...Naim, Linn, Sheffield Labs, Blue Note, Columbia Legacy, Chess,

Even Herb Alpert (with or without the TB) has remastered & re-released on CD his whole back catalogue.

Ramsey Lewis Trio "The Greatest hits" 32bit remasters on CD by Chess.....most recorded live in clubs...

Razorlight "wire to wire" single...live, one take onto a master tape....

You can't do anything wrong with ECM Records.
Almost all studio recordings have to be done within three days
and it benefits the sound:

Oregon - Oregon
Pat Metheny / Lyle Mays - As falls Wichita so falls Wichita Falls

and many, many, many more.

There is a thirteen year old documentary about the label it gives
a little impression about the label's music. Like the CD's, the trailer starts with silence:

Joined 2019
Paid Member
The best CD I've ever heard was a sampler that HiFi News and Record Reviews taped to the cover of their magazine ... long ago.
The disc was put together by electronics company Meridian and I believe that Tim de Paravicini had something to do with the production. It had some wonderful Handel sung by Lorraine Hunt and a Bach Trio Sonata played on the organ by John Butt.
Subsequently, I bought regular releases of some of the music but sonically none of it was as as good.
I lost that disk (house break-in) so if anyone has a copy they don't want...