Best RCA Plugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For an RCA plug that gets a damn good grip on your sockets, the Neutrik Profis are the mutt's nuts. If you hunt around, you can find them for about £10 a pair in the UK.

I've seen the 'budget' Neutrik NYS 373 plugs go for £7 to £8 a pair on eBay - I can buy them from RS, CPC or Farnell for about £0.60 each!

Hi all,
I had just brought a set of Furutech FP=106R RCA plug in Hong Kong for my silver interconnect cable.As the audio result is excellent.I have the first choice in my mind is WBT RCA plug.After compare the structure and material for Furutech and WBT,I have change my mind the selection of Furutech. Some body said the audio effect the WBT will be better.Does anyone had compared both RCA plug already?

K.H.Cho

jleaman said:

That's alot of money for one single connector. I think the best speaker connector i have seen is this one > Binding-post

I agree there, they're all I use, except when I hardwire. Pain to mount though, and not free.

Best RCA I've used are the DH labs Ultimate RCA. >99% copper. I've used eichmanns (flimsy), WBT, WBT NextGen (sound great but flimsy), Xhadow, Cardas, Bocchino ($$$$$$$$$), and others, the DH are the best to my ears.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jleaman said:
Eichmann -- Use these 3 times then toss them away

Chris' are 3 years old & still fine... if you have to use an RCA they are among the best sounding...

If you are rolling your own and the interconnect interface can be non-standard then the Redel are good.

The less metal the better. (ie the best plugs at radio shack are the 8 for $5 or so with the plastic cover -- they will embarass many plugs that cost many times as much)

dave

I can't believe that nobody has yet to mention Switchcraft 3502a and 3502aau.
The nickel is of high quality and yes you can hear it. The gold plating is not the prettiest but it does the job. I've used Nordost, WBT, Furutech, Oyaide... My current favourite is the Switchcraft RCA plug. As far as input plugs go, I only use Furutech's Rhodium plated plugs on my amplifiers. I've used WBT in the past and they're great but I lean towards Furutech.

As for Neutrik. I'm not a fan since they are a little too robust for my liking. I've noticed scratches on my Rhodium sockets. If you're the type who never replaces or unplugs any cable I suppose then there is no issue.

Just my opinion. We all have our own!

Hello
I need your help.
Recently I need to purchase bulk of RCA sockets for an audiophile brand as a purchasing manager. Please tell me what I need to look out for, quality wise.
Is there any scientific data or value I can hold to like e.g. impedance?
My colleagues are not helpful; their opinions are as divided as in this forum.

Gold plating appears to me reasonable. But anything else?
(PS: Don't ask me why audiophile uses RCA at all.)

These things matter for an audio RCA:
1. ease of soldering
2. long-term stability of plating (if present), ensuring a low resistance contact
3. some amount of physical robustness

These things do not matter at all (for signal integrity - they may matter a lot for marketing purposes):
1. 'impedance' - this is virtually meaningless
2. distortion - any decent connection will have virtually unmeasurable distortion
3. noise - if you are worried about noise you would not use RCA

You need to know your intended market: people who understand electronics, or audio enthusiasts who just need a good story?

Where should we send our consultancy invoice?

Hi DF96
Thank you very much. I understand now. It's actual more a mechanical issue.

I can not pay you any consultancy fee. But if you ever need any components hard to find (like e.g. good RCA sockets :)), feel free to contact me. Maybe I can get them for you. Maybe even for free.

Joined 2011
I need to purchase bulk of RCA sockets for an audiophile brand as a purchasing manager.

There are many factors to consider, and the designer has the responsibility to give you this information.
Don't buy anything until all the specs are in writing. If they "don't care" I would be looking for a new job,
they probably won't be around very long. There are likely even more requirements than these to consider.

Metric or English
RoHS compliant or not
PCB mount or chassis mount
Inside chassis mount or outside chassis mount
Insulated from chassis or not
Solder connection or other
Magnetic materials acceptable or not
Footprint size restrictions
Center to center mounting distance requirements

Last edited:
Hello Rayma

Thank you too, for giving me input.

Metric or English > Metric
RoHS compliant > yes
Inside or outside chassis mount > inside
Solder connection > yes solder connection
Magnetic materials > Why is this important?
Footprint size restriction > is given
Center to center mount distance > is given

I do have a specification-list from my company. The point is that I have absolute no chance to meet the requirements by given budget. I sourced already 2 weeks w/o meaningful results. So instead of hearing to my engineers and marketing guys, I eager to learn what you guys really value at such a connection. And I focus on your needs instead. Then I will have a good conscience to have done my job, no matter what.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.