Best music for testing new sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally got my new sub installed. It's a Dayton RSS265HF, 100 liters, tuned to 21 Hz (1st order butterworth). I am impressed. This thing goes _LOW_. It does strain a bit at higher volumes in the 20- 30 Hz range. It appears that I may need a subsonic filter, as I think this may cause some of the strain.

Nonetheless, I was wondering what music you would use for putting it through some testing. I grew up in the 80's, and still have various 'test' CD's laying around. I have put it through the Don Dorsey test, Flim and the BB's, some Pink Floyd and Aqualung (not Jethro Tull) and finally Dave Grusin.

What would you run through a new sub to test its worthiness? I would be interested in movies too, as this is my HT sub. But they are a bit more troublesome to test with. Good music would be best.

Todd

Worthiness of a Subwoofer? Actually the only thing that a sub can do is to contribute (not detract) from the music in a natural, unforced manner.

I'm partial to Classical Music myself, so my recommendations certainly reflect that as well.

Here's a few:

1. 1812 Overture
2. Pines of Rome
3. Pictures at an Exhibition (esp. The Great Gate of Kiev)
4. The Planets (Mars, The Bringer of War)

After listening to these specific recommedations, you should have reached several conclusions. Hopefully all of them will be positive:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

In some relatively "simple" music, you can still find the bottom octave.

In some live recordings, you may hear the tappings on stage, slight impacts on mic stands... etc. Through play back, it would be sense of floor vibrations. Example: <Unplugged> -- Eric Clapton.

Or in some recordings with very close mic positions, you may hear the very low resonance almost inside the instruments, especially on those pedal works of piano, or dacays following string attacts on bass guitar or double bass. Example: <Are We There Yet?> -- Steve Swallow & Carla Bley.

In most live recordings, those non-musical bottom octave sounds are filtered out to avoid unwanted trouble. But with the 'natural' low frequency noises, you'll find the whole presentations are much more realistic. And the senses of "they are here" or "you are there" will jump up vividly.

MaVo said:
The best music is the one you like. If you want to know more, you should measure it with a sine sweep. For an easy diy sine sweep, you can use the signal generators in: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I have a 5Hz-22.05kHz sine sweep. What alerted me to the need for a subsonic filter is the 5-20Hz range. As soon as the sweep starts, the driver oscillates (nearly full excursion) at 5Hz.

Todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.