Best method to seperate panels for rebuild?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently revisting ESL's after building some panels 'a la ' Rodger Sanders SpeakerBuilder projects 10+yrs ago. I purchased a nice pair of Electrostatic Research Vista hybrid speakers in need of some work. I rebuilt the HV bias supplies and got them playing. But there is some arcing and resonance on certain sections.P/S voltage is correct. I cleaned them , but still the same. The panels are a 'folded curve' perforated steel with 5 sections divided vertically using double sided tape method. I would really hate to bend the stators when disasembling them. Any good ideas on how to go about it?? Also , I found some mylar listed as 15gauge. Could someone tell me how this relates to microns? Thank-you. BTW . I have some HV bias trans(120ac-1750ac , 15ma) listed on the trading post if someone should be in need .

There is a solvent called "goof-off" sold at hardware stores and even Walmart that does a remarkable job of dissolving adhesives. The stuff is extremely volatile and flammable so you need to be careful when you use it.

If the panels are glued together at the edges I'd try putting some goof-off in a syringe and apply it along the tape. Give it a moment of two to work its magic then gently pry the driver apart. If it isn't ready to let go after the first application, give it a little more and try again.

After you get the driver apart you can use the goof-off to clean the adhesive goo off the insulators.

I_F

Thanks I_F , I never thought of solvents to soften the glue. The tough part will be the inner verticle sections , as I try to spread the stators to get to those points. I'll let you know what happens. Would anyone know the thickness of some Dupont Mylar I bought for testing. It shows a gauge size of 15C. Is this 'capacitor' grade?? I do have some other Mylar coming from Europe but I'm just curious about this stuff I found. Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.