best full range drivers regardless of the price?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are using EQ to kill the lift at the bottom of the range, they should be fine.

dave

Thank you for that nugget Dave.

Forgive me, but when you mention the word 'lift' at the bottom of the frequency range, does that indicate MarkAudio drivers have either too little, or too much low bass when used in a front loaded horn speaker - hence the (possible) need for EQ?

Sorry, I am having difficulty visualising the concept ........

tapestryofsound

Hi,

there´s no "best driver". Even if you disregard any monetarian aspects, it´s a matter of application and taste.
There are several expensive and also good drivers to choose from, to name a few: Fertinacoustics, EMS (former Fertin), Seas Exotic, Enviee, Voxativ, the expensive Lowthers...
Personally I wouldn´t use any of these more or less (the 8-inch-EMS with ferrite motor might fall into the attainable category for some, and it´s very very good...) expensive drivers without 18-inch bass helper and a dedicated contour filter, but everybody has to find his own solutions, that´s diy.
Personally, I would always go for OB, but many might disagree. The holy grail is a personal affair.

Best regards to all

Mattes

While I can't remember actually hearing them- at any great length at least- it's worthy to note they were field coil version with a quite possibly less than ideal power supply. Which I suspect is rather like having a completely off spec magnetic assembly randomly bolted on.

Pano, which model and enclosure was that, and when / where?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't remember the exact model, I think it was more than one I heard. It was at RMAF about 8 years ago in the Feastrex demo room. I was walking by and just had to stop and hear more of what caught my ear in the hall.

I found them to be well balanced, full and very clean. Very impressed. Sort of a Lowther without the ragged edge.

Many of us now are going back to routes of audio, SE amps, Lps, old school dac etc. Sometimes I do wonder if the new generation of designers are missing out things that the old gurus knew, after all audio is not just all about great measurements etc or could it be that us new generation of enthusiast are influence via forum, reading, exposure to listen differently hence ?

Cheers

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
LOL. Yeah, I suppose the shout is a big part of the Lowther signature. And yet there is some goodness back there if you can get past the shout. I heard Lowthers in large horns there were amazing. I think it was a field coil version. Very impressive if you can tame the shout.

But that's why "best" is so difficult. I thought the Feastrex were beautiful, Dave didn't like them. Some people like fullrange and hate crossovers, others don't like fullrage. How can there be an overall "best"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.