Best economic DAC to play upsampled music to DSD 512

Hi,

I play music with Daphile and a Topping E50, upsampling all songs to DSD 512 through C-3PO.
I know AKM chips can remove all filters when playing DSD, so they should sound better in this specific case compared to Sabre chips.

Will an E30/E30ii play better? There will be difference between the E30 (single chip) and the E30ii (double chip)?
Any other economic alternative? I can consider OEM boards too.

Thank you in advance,

Roberto

I've seen a project like that with a rather low power here. I'm not sure if it was for headphones or for efficient loudspeakers.

A disadvantage of that approach is that it gets difficult to keep the supply, which is in fact the DAC voltage reference, clean enough. You also have to find a way to have the output stage switch properly when the volume setting and hence the supply voltage is very low.

Hi, I am new here.

I am also looking for a budget 1-bit DAC to play the upsampled DSD with HQPlayer.
Is there any ready made kit (or finished DIY product) that play DSD directly? It seems there are a lot of discussion of NOS PCM DAC but not that many people focus DSD here.

@sunjam

What would you consider to be a kit? A bare PCB, where you solder SMD components onto the board?

What kind of budget do you have in mind? $10, $100, $1,000?

There are some very experienced people here who are working on DSD dacs, but the better DSD dacs may not fit your budget.

For lowest cost, there is the basic "No-DAC DAC" approach to DSD playback. However, don't know of a kit for that, but the circuitry can be fairly simple to build.

For finished dacs, don't know if there are any finished budget dacs which play DSD directly without doing any DSP at all on the DSD stream. (At least some AKM dac chips have DSD "volume bypass mode" which minimizes DSP performed on the DSD stream, but there may some other digital filtering they apply anyway.)

Thanks for your reply.

In my mind, budget is around $100 range.

In terms of quality, if 100% is the best you can buy with any money, I would consider 80% would be a "good quality" one.
Could you please point me to the basic "No-DAC DAC" approach to DSD playback? I am interested to know more. Thanks.

At least some AKM dac chips have DSD "volume bypass mode" which minimizes DSP performed on the DSD stream, but there may some other digital filtering they apply anyway.
All AK449x DACs (including AK4191+AK4499) apply digital filtering even in volume bypass mode. If the DSD is converted from PCM, which involves complex processing, the additional digital filtering does not make the DSD less "original" especially since the cutoff frequency for this filter is high above audio range.

Wild guess: probably a short FIR filter with integer coefficients that, without any decimation or rounding, converts the single-bit DSD signal into a multibit signal with a word length that matches the multibit DAC of the AK449*. Advantage: reduced sensitivity to far-off phase noise and spurs on the clock, disadvantages: none if you use a multibit DAC anyway for PCM mode.