Best DAC these days, to DIY or not

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Or a Schitt MultiBit. The new Bifrost has their new generation USB hardware/software and now the same ladder-dac chip as the next model up (th eone i have). Made in the USA.

dave

While I think the HQPlayer crowd and their onerous method of attempting to bypass most of a Sabre DAC is a waste of time, I would rather do that than buy any piece of Schiit, especially their non-audio DAC disasters. I’m sure it sounds fine, you can really butcher audio and everyone will still like it.

No offense meant to you personally, but the Schiit guys have demonstrated poor design practices enough times for me to stay away. Benchmark DAC3 is made in USA also (I think?) except by people who know what they are doing.

This thread is a good example of how there are numerous and sometimes contradictory philosophies, all with their own proponents. It’s why I laugh a little every time I see some expert that knows “the answer” as to what sounds best.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
I understand ishizeno has lots of frequent flyer miles. Maybe he would be willing to fly you out here to see for yourself. You would be very welcome to visit as far as I'm concerned.

Regarding your opinions, I have email communications from a former JBL engineer who worked with the same drivers as in M2 and knows what the Crown amps sound like. I repeated his observations and advice and did my own listening too. I also have copies of some of his personal notes from the work he was doing.

Fact is, I happen to be right and you are wrong, but a huge amount of research would be involved in proving every single observation. I don't have that many years left on this earth to worry about trying to convince people who won't bother to listen for themselves. Sorry if that sounds impolite or rude, but I don't know how else to tell you something you seem not to want to hear.

I’m sure we’d get along and have a good time, but it’s not about the money, I just don’t have the time right now (I shouldn’t even be reading nevermind posting :) ). I also don’t think a sighted test, and one where we both come in biased is going to prove anything.

I did read some of the posts by Miska on the other forum that was linked and I better understand the purpose now, but I don’t really see the value on the playback side. I think if you’re going to go that far, you should put it in an FPGA or design and license an IP core. Then you’re halfway to the “no-DAC” approach or something like Bruno Putzeys is doing. It might have some value for specific ADCs if they allow DSD recording that bypassed the internal filters. For example, AK557x has some ugly passband ripple. RME fixed it with another filter, and that’s another option and probably more straightforward, but it’s one of the few really legitimate use cases I see.

I’m sure we’d get along and have a good time, but it’s not about the money, I just don’t have the time right now (I shouldn’t even be reading nevermind posting :) ). I also don’t think a sighted test, and one where we both come in biased is going to prove anything.

I did read some of the posts by Miska on the other forum that was linked and I better understand the purpose now, but I don’t really see the value on the playback side. I think if you’re going to go that far, you should put it in an FPGA or design and license an IP core. Then you’re halfway to the “no-DAC” approach or something like Bruno Putzeys is doing. It might have some value for specific ADCs if they allow DSD recording that bypassed the internal filters. For example, AK557x has some ugly passband ripple. RME fixed it with another filter, and that’s another option and probably more straightforward, but it’s one of the few really legitimate use cases I see.

Whenever you have time, I'd love to have you visit us in California, and I am more than happy to share some of my miles on United. I'll probably fly 400,000 actual nautical miles this year (aka butt-in-seat miles), so I'll have quite a few MileagePlus miles to share with people interested in the OTO™ project. I can also share some free nights with Hyatt in case you need lodging.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.