Best conversion of old CD's to lossless?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it a waste of time to argue about a fact that already exists in this world? Is there any real meaning? You have written a lot, but I am too lazy to look at it because I am telling the truth. You won't accept it, then you can continue! Anyway, it is not my loss.

You are telling the truth?
I have to accept what you claim, just because you say stuff?
I don't think so.

Without actual proof your words are empty.
Walk the walk.

scott wurcer said:
I know you are fond of the stuff the patent office allows.
Their claim is that a weak magnetic field can deflect infra-red light? And that IR can induce magnetism into a ferromagnetic material? Not even wrong! (on both counts) Sad that you can patent rubbish like this. Sad that people cite patents as evidence of science.

ofswitched said:
You have written a lot, but I am too lazy to look at it because I am telling the truth.
They say ignorance is bliss. You must be very happy.

You don't know a lot of things in the world, I am too lazy to write anything more.
Scott knows a lot more about photons than you do.

I had one CD that always would skip around on a particular track on the CD player in my car but played perfectly on any player that I had. Checked the CD in the DVD drive of my pc using EAC I get a 99.8% track accuracy for that particular song track compared to 100% for all the others.

I'm putting it down to quality issues with the pressing.

It maybe the case that your external drive has troubles with that particular CD, would another drive be better, possibly, can you borrow another one?

Interesting my samsung dvd drive is actually a toshiba.

Indigo,

Thinking about it, CDs are designed to be played - not ripped, which is why EAC is so valuable to us. I have another laptop with a built in DVD player/burner, I will try it on that, and if that fails, I will buy another external CD player as they are cheap enough.

Question is - which one?

ToS

Scott knows a lot more about photons than you do.

I was waiting for someone to cite the recent research on quantum mechanical anomalies that show up at 10,000W/sq cm of light flux (10**5 solar flux) as mattering to audio.

Sad that people cite patents as evidence of science.

To make it clear to everyone, the background of invention section of a patent does not have any test to pass and can contain essentially opinion or even total nonsense, the examiner only reads the claims with scrutiny. It is trivial to find the usual BS like feedback is bad because it goes around and around in patent descriptions.

Last edited:
I don't get smiles when I bring stuff like this to listening sessions. ;) How do they do hidden tracks on a CD?

Scott,

Haha! Lars Fox the singer with Grotus has a bass voice that can strip paint. Imagine a heavy metal Indian sub-continent American 90's Indie band and you're about half way there. Amazing production with chain saw distortion and really crisp manic drums all mixed in with lo-fi grabbed samples combined with a laugh out loud sense of political humour, and I think you get the picture. Not much metal in my collection, but Grotus is exceptional. Try out on your listening pals Transglobal Undeground's remix of Grotus's 'Opiate of the Masses' album, and you never know, you might get a round of applause.

Not sure about hidden CD tracks, though :)

ToS

Last edited:
Maybe we sholud make some things clear by answering the following question:
How many percent of audiodatata can be lost (through scratch or defects in the pit layer) and still being reconstructed to 100% by the parity bits?
How physically big would this scratch be?
I have one Philips CDM-1 that plays gaps up to 4x1,25mm = 5mm without any click. So I guess the data loss of 5mm can be completely reconstructed
I assume the famous clicking we hear on a scratched CD is not be the data loss but simply the laser being unable to stay on the track
after a scratch and commencing a neighboring track.

As the old Philips swingarms had only one servo for horizontal tracking
I guess chances are higher that the spot hit the track again after a defect as the lens steadily wobbles around the track to overcome friction .
But swing arms are long gone and player use two servos for horizontal tracking, coarse (motor) and fine (lens) Both have to be at
a centered position towards each other when a gap accidentally occurs this is not very likely. The track gets lost. "click"-wrong data following, not data loss.

Undortunately for a Mac user there is no much to use besides old MAX and modern XLD and no software AFAIK to look under the hood of a PC-Drive.
I force Max and XLD to read at 4x max, and 100 retries if an error is detected. I assume it can be 16x as well and 2 retries,
but never found info if any drive on this earth will reduce speed when encounting errors first or simply interpolate for the sake of fast ripping.

Interestingly the drive reads around 1.4 in the beginning and ends at about 2.4 speed no matter what CD.
But I guess slower sppeds are better for old CDs anyway as the laquer might not be evenly spread. 16xspeed - heavy vibration.
I remember videos from the early days of production plants where the machine spits a blob of clear varnish on the label side of a rotating CD
and the CD then speeds up to distribute the varnish (and "splatter off" what is too much of laquer)

Last edited:
Maybe we sholud make some things clear by answering the following question:
How many percent of audiodatata can be lost (through scratch or defects in the pit layer) and still being reconstructed to 100% by the parity bits?
How physically big would this scratch be?
I have one Philips CDM-1 that plays gaps up to 4x1,25mm = 5mm without any click.................I remember videos from the early days of production plants where the machine spits a blob of clear varnish on the label side of a rotating CD
and the CD then speeds up to distribute the varnish (and "splatter off" what is too much of laquer)

Salar,

What you say is very helpful, the gist of it is that CD pressings, especially early ones, are every bit subject to the kind of vagaries associated with pressed vinyl, and it is the playback technology as invented by Philips, that makes the medium viable. I do remember the original Philips CD player being beautifully engineered and very expensive to buy.

ToS

When I first started archiving digital files twenty years ago, the wisdom at the time was that Kodak gold cd's was the way to go, as nobody knew how long this new medium would last before deterioration of some kind would set in. To my knowledge, none of these discs in my archive have yet failed.

But it is a heady brew next to the surface of a CD in it's jewel case! The plastics, paints, dyes and what have you, all outgass and when combined with air pollutants, chemical reactions do take place. The outcome of this varies and is unpredictable.

So I do think archiving music from CD's as FLACs is a very good thing.

ToS

Before 1988 most of the coatings where solvent based. The solvent evaporates and leaves micro holes. UV coatings don't have this problem as long as its filtered and allowed to rest before application.

I love myths! 40% of my collection dates
from the mid / late eighties, my very first CD
was Lou Reeds "Transformer", followed by
Keith Jarretts "Köln Concert" or
Stings "Bring on the Night" They play flawlessy
XLD or MAX show no errors when ripping.
Not one CD failed yet. Oranges to Apples:
Around 2003 some "MAME" branded CDR,
designed for long term storage using phtalocyanine
failed after 2 years. A gold layered "Verbatim"
CDR, that got the honour to work as a backup
for the DAT recording of the second concert of a
group called "Rammstein" still plays/ rips flawlessy today.

Hi,

I too am in the process of ripping my CD collection to FLAC using EAC, and an oldish netbook running Windows XP with an external USB DVD/CD burner.

There is also "dBpoweramp CD Ripper"
dBpoweramp CD Ripper: CD Converter, Securely Ripping

Bought a long time ago and still working fine. Though not free, it easily was worth the single investment.

Never go with *.wav when ripping,
Using *.flac needs lower disc space and also supports automatic tagging and includes album pictures.
From there you can convert to whatever you like without any loss of the original sound data on the CD as long as the file format supports it like wav or apple lossless for example.

Last edited:
Hi,

Been rather busy doing the tail end of months of winter computer work before the spring weather, and ripping FLAC's is just part of it. Interesting ........ dug out a mothballed CD burner from our last house move, and together with my other external, and a laptop internal, all three failed to rip my troublesome CD in EAC's secure mode. So by triangulation, I reckon it is a duff pressing.

Oh well :rolleyes: Let's settle for EAC's burst mode on this one.

Equally interesting seeing the rip logs on all three drives, as they all handle the same tasks slightly differently. I see I am going to have to investigate this here FLAC ripping malarkey a bit more thoroughly.

Anyways, thank you all for the suggestions, and hope the sun shines brightly.

ToS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.