Best choice of current Class D offerings for me?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At some point I'd like to pick up several class D amps for both PA and home stereo use. I have a Peavey class D amp that works well but occasionally cuts out, but I love the low weight. I don't want to build from scratch, but okay with a kit that has mostly populated boards. Looking for the current best choices for high power, good sound, low cost and robustness/reliability. Best configurations for me would be mono or stereo, with power output above 100 watts, preferably 200 to 600 watts into 8 or 4 ohm loads.

What are the amps or kits you suggest I consider? Screaming bargains are welcomed!

At some point I'd like to pick up several class D amps for both PA and home stereo use. I have a Peavey class D amp that works well but occasionally cuts out, but I love the low weight. I don't want to build from scratch, but okay with a kit that has mostly populated boards. Looking for the current best choices for high power, good sound, low cost and robustness/reliability. Best configurations for me would be mono or stereo, with power output above 100 watts, preferably 200 to 600 watts into 8 or 4 ohm loads.

What are the amps or kits you suggest I consider? Screaming bargains are welcomed!

Which Peavey amp do you have, is it the IPR1600? I haven't heard any reports of them cutting out. Bang for buck you will be hard pressed to beat it.

Most of the diy modules that are available are lower power and usually won't handle anything under 4ohm. Iv'e had good results with Hypex, 41hz kits, ConnexElectronics modules, HiFiMediy and some of the SureElectronics stuff.

col.

Col,
I don't remember which one my Peavey is, but that sounds right. Its over at my office now - I'll try to remember to look at it tomorrow. I plan to open it up and look around in there soon.

I think there was a few teething problems with the IPR1600 but nothing that Peavey hasn't fixed or is willing to service. Some info in their forum:

• View topic - IPR 1600 Failures

col.

The IPR1600 looks extremely impressive on paper. But, there's some very mixed reviews at some retailer sites. Including from verified purchasers, so presumably not from Behringer employees trying to slow Peavey sales until Behringer can clone it. There's a thread someplace where the Peavey designer/manager has been posting; he claimed it was the most reliable design ever in testing. Perhaps the problems are due to sketchy parts sourcing and assembly in the big country across the sea where the amps are manufactured.

I don't think I'd buy one now for home use; used conventional (semi)pro power amps are cheap enough (and will only get cheaper). But, if I was doing regular mobile gigs, I'd seriously consider buying a few. I could load 3 or 4 into the rack case and it would still be lighter than with one conventional amp. And more convenient, since I could leave all the interconnects in place. (DCX2496 to amps, amps to 4-conductor Speakon outputs)

As for other high power digital amps... the price of modules can be deceptive without taking into account the cost of a case and power supply (if not included). And, do they include overload (clipping) indicators, and DC fault protection?

Last edited:
The IPR1600 looks extremely impressive on paper. But, there's some very mixed reviews at some retailer sites. Including from verified purchasers, so presumably not from Behringer employees trying to slow Peavey sales until Behringer can clone it. There's a thread someplace where the Peavey designer/manager has been posting; he claimed it was the most reliable design ever in testing. Perhaps the problems are due to sketchy parts sourcing and assembly in the big country across the sea where the amps are manufactured.

I think this is the thread you mentioned:

Peavey IPR class D amps - AVS Forum

I don't think I'd buy one now for home use; used conventional (semi)pro power amps are cheap enough (and will only get cheaper). But, if I was doing regular mobile gigs, I'd seriously consider buying a few. I could load 3 or 4 into the rack case and it would still be lighter than with one conventional amp. And more convenient, since I could leave all the interconnects in place. (DCX2496 to amps, amps to 4-conductor Speakon outputs)

I bought two IPR1600s for use in a small mobile rig that I'm building. I haven't had them out on the road yet, been burning them in at home. They sound great but there is fan noise. If you were going to use them permanently in home theater a fan mod would be in order, either that or enclosed.

As for other high power digital amps... the price of modules can be deceptive without taking into account the cost of a case and power supply (if not included). And, do they include overload (clipping) indicators, and DC fault protection?

It's only recently that affordable Class D amps have started appearing on the proaudio market. Up until now the only options were DIY modules or very expensive proaudio. I have quite a few amps constructed from DIY modules. None of them come close to competing with the Peavey IPR1600 for bang4buck, lightweight, clipping lights and DC/fault protection.

For reasonably priced home HiFi though I think the ConnexElectronics TA3020 modules and the HiFiMediy TK2050 modules are superb value for money.

col.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.