Best chamber size for Jordan JX125 / JX150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey !

After building all kind of gear for years, I want to have a try on speakers for my living room now. The choise is Jordans JX53 in a small housing (sealed) plus JX125 or JX150 in a bigger seperate housing (vented).
According to my calculations the volume of the chambers has to be almost 80l for the JX125 and 120l for the JX150 to get down to 25Hz. Did I calculate something wrong or this really the size to go for?
I've seen some designs with this drivers combination around all in 30 to 60l housings, so I guess their trade off is the freq resp at the bottom, right?

Thanks in advance!
kubi

kubi said:
Hey !

After building all kind of gear for years, I want to have a try on speakers for my living room now. The choise is Jordans JX53 in a small housing (sealed) plus JX125 or JX150 in a bigger seperate housing (vented).
According to my calculations the volume of the chambers has to be almost 80l for the JX125 and 120l for the JX150 to get down to 25Hz. Did I calculate something wrong or this really the size to go for?
I've seen some designs with this drivers combination around all in 30 to 60l housings, so I guess their trade off is the freq resp at the bottom, right?

Thanks in advance!
kubi

I would recommend the JX125 for one JX53 and the JX150 for the arrayed JX53. I dont recall that the enclosures have to be that big, I think it's around 27 liters for the JX125.

If we request for them, it might be possible to get them back into production. These are really good drivers to mate with the JX53.

Re: Re: Best chamber size for Jordan JX125 / JX150

audiobomber said:

Do you have these drivers, or know where to get them? They're no longer being manufactured and as far as I know they are no longer offered for sale anywhere.

I think if you go to the E. J. Jordan site, they might have a few JX150 left, but you need to be quick.

I got some JX125 from Hifisound in Germany about 5 months ago.

planet10 said:
My buddy in Switzerland (recently moved) has his JX150 in 72 litre sealed.

I have MJK based triangular TL drawings for both JX125 & JX150.

Both these devices are really quite stunning.

dave

I have the JX125 housed in about 18L boxes, just listening to organ music recorded in a church in Los Olivos. The low end is really stunning. I would not be surprised if these are being improved to be even better.

Re: Re: Best chamber size for Jordan JX125 / JX150

Thanks for your replies, guys!

audiobomber said:

Do you have these drivers, or know where to get them? They're no longer being manufactured and as far as I know they are no longer offered for sale anywhere.

I mailed some suppliers some weeks ago and some still had the JX125 and/or JX150 in stock. Well, that was some weeks ago, might be they don't have any left now :(

planet10 said:
My buddy in Switzerland (recently moved) has his JX150 in 72 litre sealed.

Originally posted by soongsc

I have the JX125 housed in about 18L boxes, just listening to organ music recorded in a church in Los Olivos. The low end is really stunning. I would not be surprised if these are being improved to be even better.

Is the low end satisfying?

I am satisfied with the low end of the JX125 for now in the 6M X 4M room they are in. I have listened to rock, jazz, soul, symphonies, piano, Taiko drums, organ, vocals, anything I can find to test them.

However, some music I have not heard the live performances, so there is some reservation about the fidelity at the low end, but they are all very enjoyable at almost all listening levels I can bear with.

I chose these drivers because of basic design concept is reasonable, and that the design is not totally market driven.

Re: Re: Re: Best chamber size for Jordan JX125 / JX150

audiobomber said:

Another driver I think would be a great match is the Extremis 6.8. Smooth extended FR, no notch filters needed, moves lots of air for its size.

Mhh, looks good. Especially because it needs smaller housings. But it's a pretty unknown one, compared to Seas , Scan Speak or Peerless. Gotta google on that one.

soongsc said:

I am satisfied with the low end of the JX125 for now in the 6M X 4M room they are in.

That's pretty much the room size I deal with. How efficient are the drivers in terms of how many watts do you need for a "decent" volume.
(Please don't ask what "decent" exactly means)

kubi

Re: Re: Re: Re: Best chamber size for Jordan JX125 / JX150

kubi said:

Mhh, looks good. Especially because it needs smaller housings. But it's a pretty unknown one, compared to Seas , Scan Speak or Peerless. Gotta google on that one.

I should have stated that I have no personal experience with the Extremis 6.8, just what I've read on the net. Not the most reliable source for info.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Best chamber size for Jordan JX125 / JX150

kubi said:

That's pretty much the room size I deal with. How efficient are the drivers in terms of how many watts do you need for a "decent" volume.
(Please don't ask what "decent" exactly means)

kubi

My current amp is rated 145W per channel, I would estimate a sensitivity of about 1V for maximum output. My current pre volume is set about 1/5 up, the CD player output is about half way at night and full volume in the day time. The effeciency depends on the crossover design, I would recommend to have 100W per channel at hand. 10W is enought for bedtime music. I currently to FR testing with a 7W amp, which is okay when I just want to listen to casual music between tests.

KUBI
I just finished building a 66 L . 4 x 12 inch vented housing, using 2 Jordan 125 's, fed buy Hypex 150 watt sub amp.The bass was to me, solid ,fast ,clean,but because of limited [9 mm], excursion,could easily bottom out at higher volumes.

The Jordan 125;s are not in production any more.

On an interesting note, I did substitute the Jordans for 2 Extremis 6.8 's [needed them on a other project]. In doing so, c
hanged the vent size to 3'' x 17'' long,still 66using the L box.The
Extemis had much greater impact due to greater excursion ,larger V.C. I find they are a good match for the Jordans.

Joe

JVA said:
KUBI
I just finished building a 66 L . 4 x 12 inch vented housing, using 2 Jordan 125 's, fed buy Hypex 150 watt sub amp.The bass was to me, solid ,fast ,clean,but because of limited [9 mm], excursion,could easily bottom out at higher volumes.

The Jordan 125;s are not in production any more.

On an interesting note, I did substitute the Jordans for 2 Extremis 6.8 's [needed them on a other project]. In doing so, c
hanged the vent size to 3'' x 17'' long,still 66using the L box.The
Extemis had much greater impact due to greater excursion ,larger V.C. I find they are a good match for the Jordans.

Joe

What room size do you have these in, and do you think the JX125 are bottoming at the resonant requencies?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.