Best 8" full range driver for sealed box of ~1.7 cu ft (50 Lt)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FA22-calinda-enclosure.jpg

Simply a set of KEF Calinda boxes with a new plywood baffle.

dave

Great looking speaker's Dave. Again a gem from your collection. Jeff.

If you want bass you need a box with a hole in it. I’d choose A10p over either of the others… in FHXL if that fits the room, i also have a set of prototype trapezoidal Mar-Kens that are prettier but don’t go as low.

Mar-Ken10pTT.jpg

Circular bit on the baffle because these were originally A12p Mar-Ken prototype.

dave

Looks good. Ok, let me focus on the 10P. I was thinking a 18 liter sealed box for it -- I actually do not want too much bass as I do not want to stress the drivers too much (I prefer that they focus on the midrange and up).

Kind of XO makes no difference to what i am talking about.

What kind of XO point are you looking at? What kind of woofers?

dave

One 15" sealed from Visonik (the sub for David) and one 12" from Triad System Seven, sealed too. Both can play up to 150hz, as the Davids and satellites in System Seven are both light weight in terms of bass (~120hz-135hz). I will have a mono power amp to power them both (or one of them).

Crossover point entirely depends on how low the 12P will go. I am thinking, given 8 liter, 90-100hz.

Last edited:
So you want a low XO, and the 8 litre box is going to suit that better. The sealed box acts as 2 poles of the XO.

The large box would be OK if the XO was pushed up to 200-300kHz (and you had stereo woofers).

dave

If I were to pick 10.3M instead and use the same low XO, what size would you recommend for a sealed box? Still undecided between 10P and 10.3M. Thank you!

Using the same criteria, about 6 litres and an 85 Hz XO.

dave

Thanks again. If one aims to get the most colorless and neutral sound, would you recommend 10P in an ~8 litre sealed or 10.3M in a 6 litre sealed? I listen to mostly acoustic instruments, whether in the classical or jazz settings, and accuracy and neutrality are what I am looking for (hence I want to try crossover-less in the critical 100hz-and-up range).

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...would you recommend 10P in an ~8 litre sealed or 10.3M in a 6 litre sealed?

They are quite different even thou they have the same basic sonic character. 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. The A10p has what i call a vintage top end (kinda soft), the A10.3 technically more acurate perhaps. I prefer the A10p, Chrisb the A10.3.

dave

They are quite different even thou they have the same basic sonic character. 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. The A10p has what i call a vintage top end (kinda soft), the A10.3 technically more acurate perhaps. I prefer the A10p, Chrisb the A10.3.

dave

A10.3 would not need a BSC to tame its top end, would it (if one is not adverse to non-vintage highs)? I am hoping to eliminate as many components in the signal path as possible.

Do you mean W6-2144?

Hard for me to get excited about that after hearing the 4” version (i have a pair that could be had cheap).

dave

was looking at the Tang Band W4-1879 but noticed a post from you a while back that wasn't favorable either - I would be interested in taking these off your hands to experiment with - have built a PAP type OB using DPL10 bass units and have been experimenting with some FR's. PM me if still available and sorry for the thread interruption..dB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.