• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best 300B SE OPT?

:eek: can explain better ?
kit1-C-Core-panel-left.jpg

Is that pressure band on side cores going inside?
That is a shorted turn... :-(

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
<snip>

This is striking example how boutique, top priced manufacturers save on production cost, and opt for unbelievable awkwardness to extort few pennies of profit.

I really had to commend you for the above comment, my first thought upon seeing that picture. I have darker thoughts which I will not share here.. Some reputable transformer vendors actually do get custom bobbins and cores made for their products. And I agree with your comments on core area/magnetics etc as well. Nice to see a nice rational post here once in a while.

C cores usually sold in default dimensions (e.g. DIN 41309), their size is optimized for average 50/400 Hz usage, often cores with suitable cross-section area have too small window size to accommodate very large amount of winding typical for audio output transformers. Sometimes it leads to awkward solutions like AudioNote tripple C core models.

That needs some clarification.
In Europe we have actually four standard ranges of c-cores: SM, SG, SE and SU.
SM, SG and SE are double core / single bobbin configurations.
SU is single core / dual bobbin (configuration used by Lundahl).
For a specific audio transformer it is not difficult to select the right core(s) when you know what is needed in terms of power and winding space.
For example:
SM85b and SG89/29 are both rated for 160 watt / 50 Hz (M6), however SM85 has some 50% more core weight and only halve the winding space.
Most important property of the SE series (not so different from SG otherwise) is that the same bobbins can be used as for EI, so an SE150a bobbin will fit an EI core with 41,2 mm stacking height.
I agree that the three core Audionote is poor engineering.

I'm tempted by your OPTs! But I need good bass, since I have 6" Alpair 10 full-range units in my speakers and they are rather minimal on bass anyway.

Looking forward very much to hearing your views on the S-9. You are doing good work for all of us reviewing these OPTs.

I'm tempted by the ETU-1, simply because it's cheaper. Were you not also tempted by that one? Same core, but Mylar rather than PTFE dialectric.

http://www.monolithmagnetics.com/im...gle ended output transformer prelim rev01.pdf

If those Monoliths are anything like my S-833 Monoliths they will have GREAT bass. Those things shake the walls with ease, all the way down to sub-sonics.

Obviously the nightmare with the big Carvers was re-tubing. I gave up on 300bs as soon as I discovered that 4P1Ls sounded great as output tubes. Re-tubing was just so expensive, and the lifetime of 300bs wasn't as good as that of the 4P1Ls anyway. Re-tubing with 4P1Ls is the job of a few dollars. I have 150. It's not even an issue. You can't own a tube amp without re-tubing. It's an expense that has to be factored in because it will happen.

Hello everyone,

I am an unconditional power triode is my Blogg: Officina Tron-audio Switzerland

you will find a section with DIY describing a multitude module dedicated to audio.

as here for a dedicated driver Mu-Follower: Officina Tron-audio Switzerland: Pilote Mû Follower for Single-End

or here with the project description 300B Officina: Officina Tron-audio Switzerland: Projet 300B Officina

I let you watch and read. If needed if you want more information you can contact me via blogg or so more directly here: antony.turchi@tron-audio.ch

Best regards. Tony

Maybe I have missed something in the thread but everyone is only talking about core losses and behaviours on a theoretical basis. The title is about single ended amps. Here we have a magnetization due to the current that should change a lot concerning the magnetization curves and also the structure of distortions - or not?

I find the theoretical discussions very useful indeed. On the one hand we want subjective opinions, because few of us are in a position to compare several OPTs to each other. When we are spending hundreds of euros/dollars we want as much information as possible.

But on the other hand, we need this kind of theory on amorphous cores, for instance, and what kind of bass losses and/or treble gains we might expect. I think the last lot of posts on this have been very helpful.

What I see from my point of view is that for single ended amps the core stays magnetized 100% of the time because of the permanet current. So, what about zero flux conditions? These seem to be not so relevant for SE amps as the core stays in a more or less linear region of the curve. Maybe the experts can say more about this.

Do we really need such cores like finemet which are designed for true high frequency apllications in SE amplifiers? I doubt, but I think the market crys for them as exclusive is often more interesting.

Docali take a read of this thread: P-SET EL34.
It gets interesting especially when smoking-amp pops in (#23); he has some good clarifications.
Finemet cores are not designed for SE amplifiers as none of the high quality materials are; audio is simply not interesting for industry to develop. We pick what is available.
In my opinion Finemet does make sense, also in a SE application because it simply sounds better than silicon steel; it also outperforms amorphous in permeability.
Audiophiles continue to call these better materials "boutique"; better to say that the modern materials like amorphous and Finemet are currently state-of-the-art and silicon steel is "yesterday".
Please note that with good quality silicon steel (HiB; thin laminate) very good transformers can be made, but the modern materials can take the quality a step beyond.

Thanks Pieter for the link.

You say "modern materials can take the quality a step beyond" But, what are the objective metrics that can be measured with some device that supports this in the audio range?

We can see examples of vendors having their transformers with diffenrent core materials while not changing the remaining design (assuming that). What is the metric which shows us the difference?

If I remeber numbers for frequency response metrics well the traditional core is better especially in the low frequency region.