Best 12 volt amplifier chip for portable amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I second this. For the sub-2$ that one of those little blue TPA3118 boards (ie. a complete amplifier, not just the chip) will cost you, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything better.

Since the application is a guitar amp, ie. a mono application, those PBTL (mono) boards are just fine.

I used a couple in my pair of "franken-recycled" surround speakers, that i put together last week, and they work great :D

Well, TPA3118 will give you about 10W. Don't know if it's the best but cheap.

The TDA7377 is Class-AB and (as all AB amps) very ineffective for portable use as idle (quiescent) current is high compared to Class-D. Beside that it has low efficiency at low volumes.

Quiescent current is already 150mA -> 1.8W heat for nothing.

The problem here is the 8R (guitar) chassis. At 12V it gives 9W (10%) at best (on a full bridged amp). You need more voltage here. For twice the volume you'll need 10x the power -> 90W is needed. With an 8R chassis, this leads to 38-40V for the amp (Bridged BTL).

(A 4R chassis would makes things easier.)

I'd recommend a Class-D TPA3250 here, but these aren't available without case actually, so best bang/buck is a TPA3255 like:

Class D TPA3255 MINI HIFI AUDIO Digital Amplifier Board 300W + 300W DC50V-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Together with a 250W Boost converter like:

Adjustable DC-DC Boost 10A 250W Step-up Constant Current Power Supply LED Driver | eBay

These are TL494 based and do a good job up to 200W.

If you're on a budged, you may substitute the TPA3255 with a TDA7498E running at 39V:

TDA7498E 160W+160W digital stereo amplifier board PBTL 220W mono channel 24v-36v | eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.