• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Benny's new ForeWatt SRPP pre amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,

here I want to share some pics of my pre amp, the ForeWatt, also designed from my very dear friend Bruce Heran. By this occasion, I want to thank him for making this possible for all of us. If anybody is interested in any of my projects, I am very happy to assist.

Attachments

• ForeWatt.jpg
    ForeWatt.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,677
  • Under The Hood Final (600 x 450).jpg
    Under The Hood Final (600 x 450).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,662
  • PSU side.jpg
    PSU side.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,584
Last edited:
Hi everybody,

sorry for not being more clear about it, this is just my regular pre amp, I am driving my OddBlock with it. The OddWatt is just not loud enough to be operated without a pre amp, well almost, since it has so much power, but the pre amp really does the trick, it sounds warm and rich and doesn't color the sound (much). One input of the pre amp is bypassed, only the poti is in the signal path, this way I can operate my RIAA pre amp for the record player stand alone without having to mess with wires, each time I want to listen to a record.

This pre amplifier goes very well with my premium amp and is very much advisable. SRPP has some noise rejection from nature and gives you real low distortion, otherwise almost not to reach with tubes, this is why I love SRPP as a pre stage or pre amp. If anybody is interested in one of my amplifiers, I am very happy to assist building one.

Kind regards from Holland

Ben

I am extremely interested in this design. I am just finishing Pete's Engineer's Amplifier which I intend to use as my primary listening amp. And so I will be in need of a well designed pre-amp through which I can run (and attenuate) my CD, MP3, and into which I can run the output of my RIAA phono pre.

How do I go about getting full schematics? With some trial and error I could handle the layout, but of course a layout diagram (or advice specific to this project) would be helpful.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
DIY ECC802S (12AU7 / ECC82) Vacuum Tube SRPP Preamplifier

What i dont get is ive been tought (by tubecad no less) that the srpp needs to be matched to the destination.

AKA you make one to drive a 10k load, its not going to sound good driving a 100k load.

On the bright side its only a gain of 10, most cd sources need a gain of 2 tops.

For line level applications I have never found matching to be in any sense critical with an SRPP based line stage. You can measure a few dB difference in the distortion spectra, but it is generally low enough that you cannot hear it at all IMSLE.

Personally I do like the 6SN7 a lot in SRPP, the ECC82/12AU7A much less so - arguably in many cases this circuit is little more than an audio fashion statement. (That doesn't stop me from liking fashion..;) ) You will get significantly lower output impedance with a straight CF in most instances.. I like transformer coupled line even stages better.. :D

I generally find line stages with 10dB or less gain to be preferable to high gain versions. (My current line stage has 4dB of gain) When using a phono stage I place the additional gain required for this source in the phono stage as it is better from a noise performance standpoint.

Hi Kevin,

thanks for the reply. The Russian 6SN7's I used made me lots of trouble, they are real noise antenna's, I had to do some rather unorthodox things to make it work at all. For my next ForeWatt I will try the 6N1P for once. I like the sound of those tubes and quality is also rather good. I love SRPP for it's low distortion and it's simplicity. I use SRPP also as the pre stage in ALL my projects, if find a nice schematic, I usually disregard whatever pre stage they are using and I use a SRPP instead. Depending ob how much voltage swing I need, I use the 5751 or 12AX7 or EEC82 (12AU7 and it's derivations).

All the best.

Benny

I've found some (8, actually) 200V 1.0uF 1uf K40Y-9 PIO caps that I would like to use, but the schematic calls for 400V caps. Is there some arrangement of these that I can use to create a 400V 1.0uF capacitance? Would a series + parallel arrangement suffice or do I need to create a voltage divider ahead of these? Or do I need to look for other caps?

DIY ECC802S (12AU7 / ECC82) Vacuum Tube SRPP Preamplifier

What i dont get is ive been tought (by tubecad no less) that the srpp needs to be matched to the destination.

AKA you make one to drive a 10k load, its not going to sound good driving a 100k load.

On the bright side its only a gain of 10, most cd sources need a gain of 2 tops.

I've found big differences in distortion with the optimum balanced load, never understood the need for push-pull in a line stage.

Hi everybody,

200 Volt caps should be fine. I use the SRPP in my line stage for the only reason, it has the lowest possible distortion, about 0,1% over the whole band, so I am happy about it. The wooden box was a cigar box, nothing else, I get those from the cigar store round the corner for free, after some sanding and painting, this is what it is. Fuse is in the power cord assembly. This pre amp is very much advisable.

All the best.

Benny

Hello All.
Has anyone tried this style preamplifier with the output connected at the plate of the lower triode rather than the cathode of the top triode? Both these versions of circuit are shown in the post WW2 Wallman and Valley book.
I built and often use the output at the plate of the bottom tube preamplifier. Not the SRPP version.
Benny nice job!
DT
All just for Fun!

Hello All.
Has anyone tried this style preamplifier with the output connected at the plate of the lower triode rather than the cathode of the top triode? Both these versions of circuit are shown in the post WW2 Wallman and Valley book.
I built and often use the output at the plate of the bottom tube preamplifier. Not the SRPP version.
Benny nice job!
DT
All just for Fun!

Yes this is an SET connection, I prefer it to SRPP in line level, this is what Broskie uses in his aikido

What is in a name?

Yes this is an SET connection, I prefer it to SRPP in line level, this is what Broskie uses in his aikido

Hello Regal,
What is in a name or not to go too far off track.
The SRPP is still single end. The triodes are in series not in parallel. (Also true for the White Cathode follower.)
Seems odd the SRPP has a name and a in fashion following. The not so twin brother has neither.
DT
All just for Fun!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.