Being charged for chip samples

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few days ago I ordered some sample parts from both burr brown (now Texas Instruments) and Analog devices, sampling some of their High-End DAC's, multi-channel DAC's, digital filters and the like. The Burr-Brown chips came via the courier just fine, but the package from Analog devices, who used the same courier, had a cash on delivery charge of nz$238 (approx us$120) for delivery costs. As the chips I ordered had a value of approx $30, I refused to pay it and is now being returned to where it came from.
Has anybody else successfully ordered samples from Analog Devices withour being charged a ridiculus amount for postage (the package weighed only a few grams).:headbash:

Cheers, Adrian

I have ordered from Analog Devices, Texas Instruments, Maxim and National Semiconductor with no shipping charges from anyone. I live in Canada. Perhaps your problem has to do with the fact that you're in the Europe. Any other Europeans have problems with samples?

:witch:
P.S. Some of these smilies are pretty stupid...

kiwi_abroad said:

Has anybody else successfully ordered samples from Analog Devices withour being charged a ridiculus amount for postage (the package weighed only a few grams).:headbash:
Cheers, Adrian

AD is VERY generous here in Sweden. They give away everything want. Have loads of samples. I have a couple of DAC's.

2 pc. AD1852
2 pc. AD1854
2 pc. AD1855

Do you ppl actually think that these sample offers are for DIY'ers? Aren't samples design to help comapny develop new products? These Person don't give away samples asking nothing in return, they want to help designers who will then buy large number of those devices.
:crazy:
Just try to realise the amount of money your stealing from them.. Free devices
Free Shipping
Free border fees

:grumpy:

just think about that next time you want to abuse the system...

- Only My Opinion, please share yours!

NU_NRG,

I disagree with your view.

Getting a few samples from manufacturers is not stealing from them. In fact, they would be more than pleased that DIYers choose their product.

Why? You may ask.

1. Many big names starting small. Threshold (Mr. Pass) is an example; Apple (Steve Jobs) is another,... the list jsut goes on.

2. Many of us DIYers are electronics engineers professionally, and maybe one of us has a day time job designing similar products as well.

3. Giving away a few parts is part of the manufacturers' marketing strategy. This is cheap advertisement. See how many people has read the numerous threads in this forum. A few of us would just buy from distributors instead. If the parts are good, the word would just spread quickly. Of course the opposite is also true, but this is beyond the point.

I still remember in my good old days in University, I could buy student versions of various software packages (this is still true today, I believe). By using these packages early, one gets familiar with them and would just continue to use them (and recommend them) when they work. DIYer would follow the same trend: why use something else if a tried one works?

BTW: I also obtained a few sample parts from various suppliers, and I always told them the usage is for DIY projects. I have no rejects so far.

HC

make sens..but

Maybe I'm simply unaware of the total profit these copany can make but I feel that people who abuse the sampling offers are simply stealing.

As you stated It is possible that some DIYers will some day start their own buisness and then use these devices..

but in the mean time some people will still receive devices for free even if -> had a cash on delivery charge of nz$238 (approx us$120) for delivery costs :bigeyes:

THank you for sharing your point of view HC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.