Behringer MX9000 - odd power issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Deekaph said:
How would I measure the current being drawn by the desk? Open it up and measure the current where the power comes in?

Lift the Output leg on each of the regulators and drop a 0.22 ohm resistor in there (or whatever under 0.5 ohms...it should handle at least 5W). Measure across the new resistor to get a voltage. Divide the measured voltage by the resistance value (0.22 ohms) to get your current draw. The two regs should be fairly close - if one is a LOT higher, then you've got other issues.

Or an easier test - disconnect the desk. If the power supply does not overheat without the desk connected and the regulators are mounted correctly and are not fakes then the problem is very likely in the desk.

Lifting the output pin of the regulator is not a good idea as it is used as reference common. With 0.22 ohms the output voltage will drop by about 20% for each amp of current. Better would be just disconnecting the faston for the rail and inserting an ammeter set to a 10A or so range. The current should not exceed the rated current of the desk/power supply.

megajocke said:
Or an easier test - disconnect the desk. If the power supply does not overheat without the desk connected and the regulators are mounted correctly and are not fakes then the problem is very likely in the desk.

Lifting the output pin of the regulator is not a good idea as it is used as reference common. With 0.22 ohms the output voltage will drop by about 20% for each amp of current. Better would be just disconnecting the faston for the rail and inserting an ammeter set to a 10A or so range. The current should not exceed the rated current of the desk/power supply.

Silly me, I wasn't thinking of the correct regulator. Do NOT do what I suggested. :rolleyes:

color code for multi pin connector

what is the color code for the multi pin connector to the PCB in this particular power supply? here is what i know so far:

brown = ground - pin 7
green\yellow = earth - pin 7
orange = +18V - pin 2
blue = -18V - pin 1
purple = +48V - pin 3
red = +12V or +5V, - pin ?, not sure
black = ground - pin 7
yellow = +12V or +5V, pin ?, not sure

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.