Behringer Combo Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:cool: Hey, I used to have that one. It's very versatile, the overdrive channel is good sounding & the clean channel is very clean. Some of the FX presets are only meant to be used with the clean channel, there's especially one preset that fits a Les Paul-type guitar perfectly: it's a combination of wah, delay & distorsion.:D The pitch shifting effects are cool to "show-off" with. You can play powerchords with only one string.:D ;)

It's a very good beginners amp, and as it has a stereo FX loop and pushes 30 watts you can go along way with it. Get the programmable Behringer midi-pedal as well, you can control the wah-wah that way.:cool: :cool:

Just my opinion. Skip the amp and spend the money on a nicer guitar. I live about three miles from the MF warehouse and see a lot of those Rogue guitars. They're really cheap. One with scratches sell for $50 and you might need to look through ten to find one that plays nice. They are not worth the freight to ship them back and forth which you would do if you knew enough to not be a beginner. I know parents don't want to hear this but your first guitar should be a good one. As long as you are aware of it's value you'll be happier. The last thing a beginner needs is 1/2" high action or intonation that's off making your chords sound worse than they already do. If you have a teacher have him or her pick something out for you or just borrow something until you are sure you'll stick it out and play. Then, buy what you want. The price won't matter.
John.......

Thanks for your advice Whatsnext, generally good it is.

But I've heard and played one of these.... my teacher's. And advice coming from three world-class pickers tells me this particular model has fine action and is great deal. Others who have ordered one online have had no complaints. I hope I fare as well.

Check out the scratched Mahogany Dreadnaught Cuttaways for $50 ......give me a shout when you find a "good one."

x. onasis said:
Thanks for your advice Whatsnext, generally good it is.

But I've heard and played one of these.... my teacher's. And advice coming from three world-class pickers tells me this particular model has fine action and is great deal. Others who have ordered one online have had no complaints. I hope I fare as well.

I've recently bought a fair amount of Behringer gear, and I'm extremely pleased with it. One of them is the BX1200 bass combo, and it's an amazing little amp (but very heavy!), 120W into a 12" speaker, and it copes beautifully with my daughters 5 string bass.

I also bought a PA mixer/amp, the PMH-880S, and a total of seven microphones (plus a DI box). It all performs flawlessly, and sounds great.

I see no reason to suspect the guitar combo won't be good as well?. You generally can't beat Behringer for the price!.

Acoustics+Amps= baaaad sound. The whole point of having an acoustic guitar with a pickup is to get clean,unaltered acoustic tone. Thats why everyone i've ever known/seen has run right through a direct box (maybe an acoustic pre-amp with some EQ/Delay/ reverb also) into a PA system. guitar amps are made to color tone coming from electric guitars, and if you run an acoustic through one you'll lose the nice sound of an acoustic. I have a $600 acoustic guitar and its still not that great. the one i'm getting soon is a $1700 (used) taylor. New it's over $2400.. i've never heard anything like it. Really, the higher the price, the better the guitar. You might want to see what you can get used for maybe 250-300.

Like others have said, a guitar amp isn't the best for acoustic electric guitars. They usually have 10" or 12" speaker(s) which are fine for the low and mid range, but lack a horn or tweeter for the "shimmer" one usually likes to hear from an acoustic electric.

They make amps for acoustic electric guitars. Also, most keyboard amps and some bass amps with tweeters work well too.

I suppose a person could add a tweeter and crossover to a standard guitar amp, providing there is room for it on the speaker baffle board. You would want to have some sort of switch to take it out of the circuit if you wanted to use it for electric guitar. Tweeters/horns sound pretty harsh with an electric guitar, especially distorted.

Nigel Goodwin said:

I've recently bought a fair amount of Behringer gear, and I'm extremely pleased with it. One of them is the BX1200 bass combo, and it's an amazing little amp (but very heavy!), 120W into a 12" speaker, and it copes beautifully with my daughters 5 string bass.

I also bought a PA mixer/amp, the PMH-880S, and a total of seven microphones (plus a DI box). It all performs flawlessly, and sounds great.

I see no reason to suspect the guitar combo won't be good as well?. You generally can't beat Behringer for the price!.

Behringer stuff is generally very good - the "best for the price range" idea certainly applies to their PA, but some of the guitar accs (especially the V-Amp) I've heard bad things about - although mainly the design, ease of use and durability, rather than the sound.

The amps tend to be good though, pretty much across the range - I've recommended many of these Behringer guitar packs to beginners over the usual £199 Encore & Kustom packs from Maplin / Argos.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.