battery keeps running down

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
y8s said:
do you have any accessory relays that are "on" when the car is off? like alarm feature disables or anything? relays can suck enough juice to kill a car in a few days...

thats an interesting question ! i don't know ...

i do have a dead stock alarm system and i dont think anybody disconnected it ...

the reason i suspect the stereo is because the problem seems to have either started or gotten worse after i installed it about a year ago ... but im not 100% sure

is there like a fuse for the alarm system that i should remove ?

or should i go to an alarm shop and ask them to take the dead stock system out ?

by the way, do you think an alarm system is useful to have ? should i get one ? stereos get stolen often from my neighborhood but im just not sure if an alarm would deter anybody ...

You should have in installed the alarm before you installed the audio system.

An alarm won't stop all theft but it will help draw attention to the thieves unless your alarm is poorly installed and falses too many times.

One thing that's important if you want to keep your equipment is to make it difficult to remove. Some people mount all of their amps to a board and screw the board to the vehicle with a couple of drywall screws. A prybar and a pair of wire cutters can remove that in seconds.

It also helps if you don't advertise your system. Turn it off approximately 1 mile before you park the vehicle.

Perry Babin said:
One thing that's important if you want to keep your equipment is to make it difficult to remove.

what about this?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

it ain't difficult to remove but the thief has to go in plain sight to remove the amps if he knows where they are...

the HU's are a different story though. :xeye:

Your'e talking like it would be so easy to just take a pry bar and wire cutters and your done. I don't know, that's why I usually love installing my amp underneath the seat. Unfortunately after I slid some particle board underneath the carpet and all, the capacitor wouldn't fit, the amp still would have, but not the cap but I was going to do that so I would not drill through the floor board of the car. I always like the idea cause if you put it up far enough under the seat, they would have to basically remove the the seat to get the amp out and that's kind of hard to do with the loud alarm going off while they would be trying to do that.

I highly support the idea off turning your music down before arriving at your destination. Why like I said before, I enjoy my music all the time on the freeway or highway but when I get to a light, neighborhood, or stop sign, I turn it way down. Yeah, people could still hear you if they are beside you with their windows down on the highway and all but it's just a precaution method. I've only had my car broken into and my stuff stolen 1 time, knock on wood, in the last 15 years I've dealt with car audio but at that time I was living in a bad area at my grandma's house (When I first moved out from my parents) and I use to work on my installation and stuff in plain view in the front yard of her house. Also, I was still moving some stuff over to her house and when I was at work there was some audio stuff in the seat that you could see through the window, even with the tinting, in my old car. I think I also ticked someone off on the highway when I got upset with them and all. I don't know, all these factors led to it I think and I didn't have a alarm on the car either. Some people at my work thought it was one of the landscaping people but they did it in broad daylight while I was at work. I came out at 5PM and found it broken into. I lost over $1,000 of stereo equipment. Learned my lesson as I had 48 cd's in a case and that was stolen as well and had A LOT of old and rare cd's that I couldn't buy back at stores cause they were hard to find. I think that's what hurt me the most. A alarm defiantly helps though...Gives you some security and overall peace of mind :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.