Bass Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all I'm a new guy to this forum.

I'm 17 years old and from Sweden. I recently got the urge to build a bass horn which my father has told me about before. However, I'm an complete "noob" when it comes to horns and any sort of speakers. Is there some sort of "safecard" when it comes to bass horns? A drawing that you can't mess up to badly and isn't too hard to make.

I'm not aiming to do the best horn in the world, and i bet i wouldn't hear the diffrence so much either.

To put it all together.
Could some friendly soul link a bass horn plans to me that has been tested and are somewhat OK for a beginner to begin with?

Many pre-thanks / Fredrik

JBell's two ft. cube is a great looking Tapped Horn. The Lab Horn is a rather large complex design for a first build. A kllipsch Jubilee would be smaller by a little and probably less complex to build. I guess it depends upon what the intended use is to be. Regards Moray James.

Probably an apples to oranges comparison.

A horn is distinguished by high efficiency, length, and a large mouth. The TH design is interesting and to be commended, However, in many ways it is "not really" a horn (let's not argue about semantics not quibble over minor issues). The TH is not really meant for for an extended bandwidth. It is meant to have LF extension. The mouth is simply too small.

On the other side is an honest-to-goodness horn (K-Horn or Jubilee as examples). These have real efficieny (and the flip side to efficiency is low distortion). Additionally, they can play up to 400 to 800Hz. However, they will not play down to real low frequencies (unless the cabinets get huge and they are augmented by loading from boundaries).

I agree, it really does require an examination of what your intended use might be.

The TH design is interesting and to be commended, However, in many ways it is "not really" a horn (let's not argue about semantics not quibble over minor issues).
They are horns, if built as a horn. There are no semantics to quibble over.

The TH is not really meant for for an extended bandwidth. It is meant to have LF extension. The mouth is simply too small.
The mouth size is not the reason for the high frequency ceiling. ;)

Last edited:
Probably an apples to oranges comparison.

A horn is distinguished by high efficiency, length, and a large mouth. The TH design is interesting and to be commended, However, in many ways it is "not really" a horn (let's not argue about semantics not quibble over minor issues). The TH is not really meant for for an extended bandwidth. It is meant to have LF extension. The mouth is simply too small..

Here I was thinking that a TH's increased efficiency over conventional designs, its
length which is in the same 1/4 WL as conventional horns and its mouth,which is large
but not as large as a FLH (yet so many FLH's designed have nowhere close to the optimal
mouth size) ,and compression chamber(area) would classify it as a horn?

Last edited:
I won't bother clearing up the above responses. However, I do agree that you are correct and we need to see what the OP is after.

If he is after the advantages and "sound" of a bass horn, then he needs to build a bass horn. A TH is not the same (and they have their own set of strengths and weaknesses).

Here Tapped Horns is a small selection of tapped horns made by a member of this board. They should all work fine and are far easier to build than a normal front loaded horn. However, with a front loaded horn, you can gain even more spl at the cost of a much bigger enclosure. The only one i can think of right now is the Labsub from tom danley, made for the folks at this board: PSW Sound Reinforcement Forums: LAB Subwoofer

Hi Fredrik, maybe you can help out by telling us what frequence you want to go down to. When I was a noobie, I thought "Bass" meant bass guitar or the kick drum. Is this what you are thinking? Some of the horns suggested here go down into the sub region which you might or might not need.

SO?.....what is the primary use for this project -- music, home threater?

What loudness levels are you looking for?

If for music, what type of music do you listen too?

How much room do you have?

How much do you want to spend?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.