Bass amps driving active crossovered speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

This question may be a bit dumb, but while I did some research, i've read that the main reason to not be using guitar amplifiers in common speakers is the high distortion out of the usual guitar frequency.
But would it be used without problems or even with any benefit in a 3-way crossover system driving only woofers?

I wouldn't suggest it. Guitar and instrument amps are often designed for a specific "sound" and outside of that they sound like crap.

You would be further ahead to look into a subwoofer plate amp or perhaps some of the various amplifier modules on the market.

What kind of power are you looking for?
Which speakers are you planning to drive?

I wouldn't suggest it. Guitar and instrument amps are often designed for a specific "sound" and outside of that they sound like crap.

You would be further ahead to look into a subwoofer plate amp or perhaps some of the various amplifier modules on the market.

What kind of power are you looking for?
Which speakers are you planning to drive?

Thank you for help

I understand, I was just curious on how would they sound. For subwoofer, I'm pretending to use a servo plate, but not really sure on how to go for woofers.

My intended setup is a 4.5 way Diy tower pair, in each tower containing a subwoofer, 4 woofers (prob scanspeak 21w/4542), a bohelander RD-75 as midrange, a plasma tweeter and a supertweeter (it should solve imagine problemas that might be caused for only one tweeter, I believe)

Crossover made by Accuphase Df-55 or, depending on price DF-65, but probably the first for a big room >60sqm.

Accepting suggestions under $4/5k for a power amplifier for woofers, used or new.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.