Bamboo Cane for Bracing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My first post here!

I know there's been a lot of discussion over the years regarding bamboo ply for cabinets, but has anyone ever tried the cheap gardening grade bamboo cane for a bracing material? I have some lying around and was thinking how it would work for front to back braces or even honeycomb, just lots of epoxy resin. Any expereince/thoughts?

What do you mean by honeycomb?

Thanks for replying!

With honeycomb bracing I was thinking of a separate idea for it, i.e. use in a new build where the cabinet is almost finished and you're at the step of needing to add bracing. Would it be any good for this style, (this isn't my photo so on the off chance that anyone knows who it belongs to please let me know!)

Honeycomb-Bracing-best-method-good-with-carbon-fibre-tubes.jpg

Processed bamboo in flat/sheet materials is layered/bonded/pressed and very strong.
Garden canes are thick grass. You're taking the pith.

They are cheap but very strong when you have 3 or 4 together, wouldn't the honeycomb design make them super strong? I could imagine them in that shape with lots of coats of thinned wood glue working out, but the only way is to test it out. Which I'll do next build and report back a yay or nay. Not much point if buying bits for a build, might as well stick with mdf/hard wood, but some of the best builds are when using leftover parts or trying to keep the budget down.

Last edited:
Make them with 3 pieces, triangle style. That will give a good amount of strength with the least amount of volume. Considering the orientation of the strands and the structure of the stock, I think they will be just fine. No need to overthink this.

How large are your cabinets?

EDIT: If you want to use stick bracing make a triangle using 6 sticks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.