Balanced output options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for thoughts and reasonable advice...

I am wanting to design a low power balanced or single ended input balanced output amplifier and proto board it over the winter break. I have made a few single ended output designs in simulation and would like to build a low power amplifier for small desktop speaker and headphone use.

I have seen it shown that it is possible to use separate supplies for each channel (L/R). This allows balanced output using single and symmetric output topologies.

Then I have seen 2 stage X designs with balanced (+/-) output in the Pass subforum. Also balanced (+/-) output 3 stage designs which tend to have more complex feedback arrangements than the two stage designs.

Honestly I am leaning towards two supplies with single ended output. The supplies would need feedback and regulation but the amplifier could be an easier to implement and build design form me which means completion of my own design, the important part. This would be so I could base the input on a LTP using a dual JFET and the output on a single P type mosfet (which wouldn't need matching).

Any advice appreciated.
Regards
Colin

Most headphones tie their L and R grounds together and are as such not suited for driving with a BTL amplifier. All-balanced wiring is somewhat common in audiophile circles but ultimately has few real advantages.

Accommodating both headphones and speakers well can be tricky as their sensitivity differs by roughly 20 dB. You will need the gain structure of a headphone amplifier in order to keep output noise in check.

SE output stage quiescent current quickly gets inconveniently large when trying to drive anything beyond headphones. Consider a quasicomp push-pull topology at least.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.