Balanced cable and RCA connector: how to wire them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer in my post as the cable is not ready to be used, and still needs the RCA plugs to be soldered at both ends of the cable. Hence my question what the best way of soldering these connections is, considering I have a 4 core and ground microphone cable. What I understood from previous posts is that it is better to use inner cores for RCA signal and ground, and connect the ground wire to the same RCA ground at the receiving end of the cable. I am not sure if my understanding is correct and just wanted to double check this. Another option I guess would be to connect the ground wire to the chassis of the subwoofer and/or chassis of the Amp. What would be best practice I guess is my question.

I would wire it:
one conductor> pin to pin
shield/screen and the other three conductors> shell to shell

that's a lot of wires in a small RCA connector.
So if the shield/screen is a heavy braid, you might cut some of the spare conductors off at both ends.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.