Baffle step on small speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I usually ignore baffle step because I usually build big speakers but at the moment I am building small and tall boxes for the grandchild and the roll-off is apparent.
The midrange driver I am using is currently crossed over at ~180Hz which seems a little low for a 185mm wide baffle but I want to keep the XO as low as I can simply because these little 4" midrange sound better that way. I'm buying another couple of 4" woofers and I'd like some help with an approximation of the frequency to add the .5 driver at if I move the W to M frequency up to around the 300Hz mark

For sure there is need for compensation!

Attachments

• da115 edge.jpg
    da115 edge.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 206
Any chance your budget can handle another $7.50 per driver?

Dayton ND105-8

Much, much better in the bass department. Then again, I don't know all your design criteria. They do need a bigger box for eg., but not too bad - I'm modeling F3 of 38Hz in 10L tuned to 47Hz. But they've got mechanical excursion out the ying yang, not a bad idea for kids' speakers. But sensitivity is lower too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.