baffle step frequency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I carried out some simulations and it appears the impact of potential baffle step loss is minimal if one looks at the big picture of things.

Prior to these simulations, i spent some time doing in-room tests to establish the baffle step loss - however due to room reflections etc i did not come up with any useable info.

For the simulation i started with hp and lp curves of 250Hz with linkwitz 4th order rolloffs.
To these curves i added baffle step losses of 4db at 200/300/400/500Hz.
The lp curves level was the brought back up by approx 4db.
Then i added the lp and hp curves.

The results were that a dip and/or peak in the response are introduced - but the magnetude was less than what is seen when speakers are used in a room.

If one places a speaker into an infinite wall (infinite baffle) then measure it's response one gets a response "shape".

That shape at the lower frequencies is Flat because all the energy must go forward, none can escape to the back.

Now mount the driver into a finite baffle.
Plot the response shape.
At the lower frequencies the response shape shows a lower output. This is because some of the energy escapes to the back.
That difference between infinite baffle and finite baffle is the baffle step effect.

If we all mounted our speakers flush into the room wall, we would not get any baffle step effect. Some studio monitors are deliberatly flush mounted to specifically avoid the baffle step effect. It also avoids the edge diffraction effect.

Almost all speaker driver manufacturers quote the infinite baffle sensitivity, because it makes their speaker look 3dB more sensitive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.