Back Wall

I'm wanting to put an acoustic wall on the back wall of my dedicated home theatre. I've decided to allow 5.5 inches of framing, ie. 2x6 construction. I've heard of mixing insulations, available easily is Rockwool Safe N Sound and Comfortboard 80. Would it make sense to do a 3" Safe N Sound @ 2.5lb density and then go over top of it with the semi rigid Comfortboard 80 8lb density? Looking for some ideas.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I sit against the back wall and I had a problem with reflection and echo. Several years ago I built three panels using 2x4 wood studs. I used 3" total of Rockwool Comfortboard 80 which took 3" of the 3 1/2" of the stud depth. I positioned the panel 1 1/2" from the wall, which left a 2" gap between the back of the Rockwool to the wall. I had purchased 1 1/2" Rockwool. I cannot remember why I chose that instead of 3".

The panels made a big difference. Previously if I clapped my hands, I could hear an echo. No more echo with the panels in place, and there was a noticeable improvement in the sound of my system. Since it was diy, it was a cheap upgrade that was a big bang for the money spent.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
On the concrete wall I'm using 3x1.5"CB80 over 3.5" fluffy
The other 3 walls are 1.5"CB80 over 3" safe and sound
Ceiling 2x1.5"CB80 over compressed 12" fluffy

Attachments

• Comfotboard 80.PNG
    Comfotboard 80.PNG
    5.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Rockboard 40 60.PNG
    Rockboard 40 60.PNG
    10.2 KB · Views: 14