B20 Half Chang's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got the Half Changs done in the afternoon yesterday. (Well.. Sort of.) Boxes are put together but I couldn't resist lugging them upstairs and hooking them up. Cabinets not sanded or finished, edges not rounded, nail holes not filled and I have to trim some panels but I can say one thing.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I LOVE THE SOUND! I have been listening to almost everything I have in my collection for hours. These speakers are absolutely great. I like them much better than the Monitor Audio's I moved to the side. If I had to sum it up in one word I would say they are "Musical." Sure the MA's are clearer in the upper midrange and are most likely flat in response but I like the HC's much better. The bass is outstanding.

First full range speaker I have ever heard. Now to figure out what to build for a center channel using a B20. :)

Thanks for the reply. I found 2 threads and this is one of them and I posted in the other. Maybe not searching correctly on here but I cant really find any mention of center channel builds for this driver.

Still very impressed with these speakers. I think the combination of no crossover, high power, ( 500 watts) and horn loading really take these over the top.

I want to try phase plugs next. Can you make me a deal on 3 of them?

Guess not... No problem. I decided to try to make my own and save some money in the process. I based them on the phase plugs listed on Decware's site. ( Who I also didn't get an email response from regarding buying a set of 3.) I messed one up but banged out two of them and they didn't come out as bad as they should have. Used oak 1 1/4" dowel rod from Lowes.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There is a slight gap being that 1.25" is not quite big enough. Should I wrap something around the dowel to close this up? Sound definitely changed. Vocals sound better but guitars are a little forward. Could this be the gap?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Yes. eMail me. I didn't get an email from you (that i've seen) and this is my 1st trip back to this thread since my last post.

I'll see if i can find the other thread with the centres.... i seem to recall Godzilla suggesting a sealed box of a certain volume.

The feedback from customers both Decware & my plugs is that they are using mine.

dave

Yes. eMail me. I didn't get an email from you (that i've seen) and this is my 1st trip back to this thread since my last post.

I'll see if i can find the other thread with the centres.... i seem to recall Godzilla suggesting a sealed box of a certain volume.

The feedback from customers both Decware & my plugs is that they are using mine.

dave

Thank you for your reply. I sent my brother some pics of the new speakers around the same time and he swears he never received them. There were these same issues like this with Comcast a year ago and I wouldn't doubt it happened again.

Re-reading my post it came off a bit snippy and I apologize for that. Actually, not being able to order phase plugs turned out to be a good thing as I can make them fairly easily with the tools I have here. I think I will experiment with different woods and shapes and listen to the differences. Easy to plop them in and out and could be fun as well.

Considering 1.3 sealed for the center channel.

Thank you again for your help.

>>> Sound definitely changed. Vocals sound better but guitars are a little forward.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/b20-mod.htm

I think the B20 is a good driver but it slightly improves by removing the duscap. Yes, the sound changes... vocals are less muffled and the presentation is more forward overall... in fact, on axis, without the dustcap, i don't think it needs a tweeter. I think it would make a great, non fatiguing center channel that would match your mains better than anything.

I should buy Dave's phase plugs! They look great and rather than using the socket wrench, which is sitting on the cabinet behind me unused, i could have heard the B20s with proper phase plugs. That being said, i prefer them without the dustcaps... either just remove the dustcap or buy Dave's phase plugs. Don't bother with the socket wrench. It's not a perfect fit and doesn't offer any sonic advantage like a properly fitting and shaped phase plug.

Looking good!

I think the B20 is a good driver but it slightly improves by removing the duscap. Yes, the sound changes... vocals are less muffled and the presentation is more forward overall... in fact, on axis, without the dustcap, i don't think it needs a tweeter. I think it would make a great, non fatiguing center channel that would match your mains better than anything.

Are there other drivers that sound better without the dustcaps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.