B & O Turntable 4000 Series

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
B&O Turntable 4000...

Hi Poynton

I also have one of these horrors - a 4002. I've owned it for years and keep it only as a curiosity. Every year around this time, I play the thing. This year (a week ago) I set it up and all the old bugbears returned. When I bought it, it had an interesting extra feature - 4th speed at around 100rpm. I cured that by replacing a cap or two.

Sorry I cannot offer too much help as this is a complex matter. Perhaps some of the clever peeps here will give you some better advice.

Mine is, whatever you do, don't dismantle unles you know what your're going to do and why.

Happy New Year

bulgin

poynton said:
Hi.

I have acquired one of these.

Can anyone tell me how to dismantle it ?
I can get the turntable off but cannot see how to dismantle further.
Any help is appreciated.

Andy

Hi Andy,

It's been years since I seen one but, if my memory is correct, starting with the platter removed, the outer wood trim slides towards the front about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. Push from the back corners of the wood trim towards the front, (I can't remember if there were two flat head screw in the back corners that held it or if the dust cover had to be removed)

The small aluminum rectangle on the right side needs to be removed first. Once the wood trim is slid forward, the right edge of the panel should lift up out of the slot on the trim assembly that holds it. Once the right edge is up and clear of the trim it will slide to the right unclipping it from the table.

The front edge of the aluminum square around the platter forward should be able to be lifted from the slots in the trim assembly. Pivot the front of it up and slide the panel forward to unclip the back edge.

Definitely remove the cartrige before attempting this. It is slid into the end of the tonearm. You can probably get a look at a cartridge at Vinylengine.com

Hopefully this works, like I said it's been 30 years. I used to service them under warranty.

Let me know what you run into, or if it works.

Regards, Mike.

Hi Andy,

Please find here a scan from my very old archives, it may help you.

Attachments

• b&o_4000small2.jpg
    b&o_4000small2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 285
Re: B&O Turntable 4000...

I'm beginning to look for a turntable that will help rekindle my love for vinyl. I like the idea of a tangental arm TT, but have read about the horrors of the 4002. Did B&O make a version that was dependable and of higher quality that I should consider?

Re: Re: B&O Turntable 4000...

WBS said:
I'm beginning to look for a turntable that will help rekindle my love for vinyl. I like the idea of a tangental arm TT, but have read about the horrors of the 4002. Did B&O make a version that was dependable and of higher quality that I should consider?

You might look at the 8002. Seems to be a refined version of the 4002. I haven't seen one though, just examined the schematic.

Mike

B & O was fancy stuff, over complicated, temperamental and bad electronics.
Buy a cheap Dual turntable, they seemed to be in production at least till 2018.
Otherwise find a Technics or other high quality Japanese unit, and enjoy the music.
B & O is like old British motor bikes, half the time they were at the shop, and the shops were run by experienced old men, but the basic thing was that the production tolerances were 10x the Japanese ones.
The Japanese quality and variety basically finished British bikes, and their volumes were low anyway.
That is a little off topic.
My main point is that B & O is no longer making audio equipment and their designs tended to be , well, unique?
Another way of saying fancy shaped junk, if you are a person who believes in reliable performance.
Don't spend too much time on it , especially if it is worn out, just find another.
Also, the cheaper Thorens series are made by Dual in Eastern Europe, they may be a good purchase, at least new, no surprises due to wear, and under guarantee.
In short, see haw much damage is there, how much in time and parts will be needed to fix it, then decide what to do.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Even though reliability might be a thing, there was no other brand to have lower light tonearms-cart complex as B&O and vinyl wear might be important for some.They also refined Thorens suspended chasssis system and had the lowest vibrations prone platters.Yes electromechanics in B&O are very touchy, but the overall results when everything works fine are very good.As long as the cart is in good condition it's worth trying to fix it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.