B&W 801 Matrix S3 crossover schematics?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Arildji,
by SUONO November 1992 (italian magazine)
801 matrix series |||
regards,

Attachments

• xover-bw801.png
    xover-bw801.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 2,184
B&W 801 Matrix S3 schematics

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your contribution.

I am no expert in xovers, but to me this looks like a quite simple and straight forward xover. Maybe to simple for a 4th order, 24 db/octave xover? Could really this be the correct diagram? Comments anyone?

x-over

Hi Arildji, (sorry for my english)
The oldest version was 24dB , the series 3 seems to me near a 18dB......... From the photos of the magazine the numbers of the components is correct.
Not a problem, when you'll open your series 3 to unplugg the wires, you will check the numbers and the value of the internal x-overs. ;)
Be ware at the polarity of the midrange, the only doubt I have about the schema ( perhaps it can be right with a 18dB) check it very well.

P.S. the simplycity is only apparent !
P.S. before be happy look at the price of a quartet of Solen 5mH inductors!!!!! :dead:

is it just me... or whenever xover's are released for pricey speakers they seem to be very basic??

this one is sort of old... but I've seen the wilson watt puppy 6's xover and it's quite simple...

not that complexity necessarily = superior... but lots of people seem to "diefy" the xovers etc by big dollar companies

sort of laughable to me... as I've seen quite a bit better from DIY communities... (if better means more complex ;) )

Audiophilenoob said:
is it just me... or whenever xover's are released for pricey speakers they seem to be very basic??

this one is sort of old... but I've seen the wilson watt puppy 6's xover and it's quite simple...

not that complexity necessarily = superior... but lots of people seem to "diefy" the xovers etc by big dollar companies

sort of laughable to me... as I've seen quite a bit better from DIY communities... (if better means more complex ;) )

I own both the 1985 model 801's (series 80) and the 1995 model matrix 801 S3.

The series 80, had much more components and to me sounds better than the newer S3 which plays much louder and cleaner but not as musical. The Series 80 was voiced by the late Dr. Bowers himself. The S3 was made in an era where it was hype to create a crossover with fewer components that were thought to "waste power". Even the Iron core inductors were chosen over aircore for better efficiency....

K-amps said:

I own both the 1985 model 801's (series 80) and the 1995 model matrix 801 S3.

The series 80, had much more components and to me sounds better than the newer S3 which plays much louder and cleaner but not as musical. The Series 80 was voiced by the late Dr. Bowers himself. The S3 was made in an era where it was hype to create a crossover with fewer components that were thought to "waste power". Even the Iron core inductors were chosen over aircore for better efficiency....

this may be true... but this isn't the only xover that's just simple as crap

ABOUT MATRIX 801'S

Hi to all folks;

I got a pair of 801's (Series II) and they sound amazing, but I know there are some gadgets available to improve quality. I had the High Alighnment Filter from B&W but after trying it for 2 months, I decided to removed it from my system. Golden Flutes and North Creek developed different crossovers and/or filters, but never ever have tried them. Does anybody know something about their advantages or are just a kind of fake?

Apart from that, I have read many times comparison charts between all 801 Matrix designs and 80's old models, but... someone of you think that Matrix vintages can even sound as good as new Nautilus models? Of course, audiophilia have change from yesterday to our days, but... Nautilus series are netally far better than the previous one or just different? I mean, could we compare a pair of Matrix 801 Series II together with a Nautilus 801 or it is an absolutely absurd?

Kindest regards,
Jorgitox.

Re: B&W 801 Matrix S3 schematics

arildji said:
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your contribution.

I am no expert in xovers, but to me this looks like a quite simple and straight forward xover. Maybe too simple for a 4th order, 24 db/octave xover? Could really this be the correct diagram? Comments anyone?

Hi,

Simple and straightforward it is not.

If it is 4th order L/R acoustic then presumably careful matching
of component values and drivers is very likely to be required.
The values shown may be nominal as opposed to selected values.

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.