B&k St-140 trouble shooting question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I checked all fuses and all are ok.. I ordered new caps 4 x 100uf 100volt an 4x 47uf 16volt.these are all the electrolytics there are ...the 100uf caps arrived yesterday i put them in ..
the left side still sounds week , hopefully the when the other caps are in it will correct the problem..

nchakos,

Quick question for you on the 47uf caps - I am modding my ST-140's now and I noticed last night that the 47uf (position C1 on the board, there is also another I believe in C4 position) is a bi-polar non polarized cap. Did you use a polarized replacement cap? Just curious.

It was suggested by a friend of mine that I replace with a non polarized cap (usually poor audio quality) or go with a polypropylene cap (or caps paralleled) since polarity is a non-issue for polypropylene caps (at least as it was read for the C1 position - supposedly this is an input cap).

Any thoughts on this approach?

Input pole R2=24.3K + 47µF = 0.14hz
Feedback pole R6=1K + 47µF = 3.4hz

1.2µF + 24.3K = 5.46hz

Size and dominant pole.

I would actually choose 1.5µF so the input pole is at leas 1.414 time the feedback pole.

How big are the filter caps?

The pole formed by the filter caps and the load should be lower than the feedback pole.

Hi there djk,

The feedback pole R6 is also a 24.3K resistor.

I am finally getting around to finishing the amp! LOL I had to take it "down" and research the source of a DC pulse on power up. I believe I found the cause and am waiting for some parts from PCX.

On another note - does anyone have a schematic for the ST-140? My understanding is that there is about 3 different REVs on the ST-140 schematics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.