Auto racing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Keiichi Tsuchiya is by many considered the origin of the sport, he'd participate in races, and when he got into the first place position he'd always drift every single corner until the race was over, often for several laps.
AE86, the legend still lives. It is beautiful, Keiichi made drifting a form of art.

Gary McCoy did that in MotoGP.
Drifting every corner which meant effectively that his bike was about 3x as wide making it difficult to overtake him.
He was good fun to watch but then he had a bad crash which left him with bolts holding his leg together and he decided to return to racing way too early, a bolt loosened and undid itself during the race and Gary never really recovered from that.
Until then he was great to watch with smoke coming from both tyres in nearly every corner!

Drag racing remains the only motorsport more tedious than oval racing.
I'd rather watch golf.

McCoys spinning of the rear tire kept the engine in it's power band, making power delivery more predictable going from semi-side wall to full up-right.
Was proven to be thus with the simplistic data logging of the era in testing, was a case of 'find a way' to ride the bike which was a catastrophic dog..... team and riders words.

Attachments

• world-time-attack-challenge-2016-179-1.jpg
    world-time-attack-challenge-2016-179-1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 91
This was interesting:

Dancing with the Stars: WTAC vs F1 - World Time Attack Challenge Sydney

EVO couldn't beat Daniel, but:

"The RB7, not surprisingly, was the fastest car on the track with a lap time of 1.26.27, followed by the Tilton Evo at 1.28.42, Erebus SLS GT3 and V8 Supercar at 1.32.131 and 1.32.656 respectively. The Ducati Panigale R clocked in 1.33.971 and the Toyota WRC car came in at 1.41.222."

Attachments

• tilton-redbull.png
    tilton-redbull.png
    218.3 KB · Views: 90
Nice... Have you tried your voltage booster on COP with built in igniter?
Nah. No point really. COP setups have so much time available for dwell that plain old battery voltage is fine. Coil energy depends on current squared. Providing you have enough time available, how quick you run up that current using higher supply voltage makes no difference. Different story if you increase the dwell time for more coil current though. Then it would work well.

Last edited:
Talking about racing makes me wish group b was still a thing, besides that the isle of man tt or something with a true death before dishonor appeal. Maybe some more true characters too like smokey yunick.

Group B / 5 could have been made to look slow by Group S.

If you read the WWW Wiki it says that they were to be restricted to 350bhp..... had they been allowed to run as intended both the Lancia ECV and Audi Quattro would have been 900+ bhp.

The closest to these figures that Actually raced was Willie Gollops / for Rally Cross G-Tech Metro 6R4 Bi-turbo with near 1300bhp.
Gollop took a Royal Navy F4 pilot out in it, the Metro's launch made him start to 'grey out'.
I'm lucky enough to have been present when that car ran.
I'm also lucky enough to have seen Group B / 5 cars run in International competition.
Once in a while I get to ride in a properly road legal 'International spec' 6R4...... My 50th is in 2 years and 4 months and I'm gonna get to drive it, up over the Cornish n Devon Moors.

Here's some funky drifting: YouTube
:)

That does look fun.

Nitpicking:
But it seems he's blocking the rear wheels to initiate the motion, so I would not really call it proper drifting.

I am not in any way a racecar driver, but on some occasions I have managed to go sideways through corners even with front wheel driven cars, several times with a WV Caddy. Without the use of the handbrake, only through shifting the weight with brake technique and turn in. Got to be real careful of the throttle so you do not lose grip on the front tires though.
With 4wd cars it is much easier.

So called drifting using handbrake to initiate the motion, is not drifting. Many contenders in the "sport of drifting" do exhibit almost agressive use of the handbrake, largely unimpressive.

Hypertune:
Is this the place? Must be it, a bit down the page there's a picture of what's under the bonnet of that AE86.
Hypertune: Masters Of Billet - Speedhunters

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
With GM's high powered cars, GM sends (for free) you to driving course/classes. These new cars are impossible to drift or throw out of balance when the stability control is turned on.

One test I did was to accelerate to 60mph (100kph) and then change lanes as quick as possible into another lane and hit the brakes as hard as possible at same time..... coming to stop in other lane.

Absolutely clean high speed lane change and stopped with out throwing the car into a spin. 2017 Cadillac CTS-V.

Traction control/stability can be turned off for the thrill of loosing car control. Being on the verge of drifting is the limit where to try to go faster around the turn will loose you time. On an auto-cross a slight drift gets you the fastest time …. too much gets you slower or a spin. Drifting with sticky tires is harder -- many use a hard compound just to smoke the tires... looks good. But isnt fast way to get around.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I’ve done that in real world situation with only ABS, 3500 pound rwd car.
But maybe the car needed additional help, dunno, they ride pretty high it looks like, and are sprung highly in the rear for all that power.
My current fwd commuter has stability control, is annoying as heck, doesn’t shut down very soon after an “incident”.

To turn off tcs in my Hyundai Ioniq EV it's just hitting the "off" button, then the traction control is well and truly off.
To get rid of the stability control, you have to hold that same button in for 6 seconds, and then the stability control is ALMOST off, let's say it's ca 80% off. So it's not doing anything stupid when driving over minor uneven spots in the road, potholes etc.

But try to push it hard on corner entry and there's still something going on.
I was testing my car to figure out how it behaves when shtf, but could not make it go sideways on winter roads. Gave up, started driving home at a sedate speed, suddenly all grip is gone in a straight before a long turn. It was completely unexpected, but I somehow managed to go sideways through that long turn, keeping mostly to my side of the road.
Electronics can certainly help in some scenarios, but you really have to be prepared that they will fail when least expected.

RNMarsh, agree with you on the drifting to impress part, "looks good. But isnt fast way to get around." There's a difference between those who know what to do, and those that try to impress.
I have no car to impress with, so easy for me to comment from the sideline :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.